1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

13 Pin connector

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by bleacher43, Mar 2, 2013.

1. bleacher43

bleacher43 Member
    from MA

I have 1 bad pin on the plowside connector. Do I have to buy the pig tail and plug and splice the whole thing into the harness? Then what? Tape it up?

2. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes,you need the Boss repair kit for the harness.It comes with 13 heat splices plus 1 large heat shrink over the entire spliced area.I taped it up for good measure.

3. bleacher43

bleacher43 Member
    from MA

Thanks... That's alot of work for 1 pin. Oh well, thanks again.

4. scott3430

scott3430 PlowSite.com Addict

I bet it's the bottom right pin? Mine was crooked for two seasons but still worked. Then this past fall my dealer replaced the plow side pig tail, after the crooked pin broke off.

It had something to do with losing the tower - power up control at the switch.

5. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

The other easiest thing to do that is a lot less likely to fail due corrosion is just buy a new harness. I like the idea of the repair pigtail but it is another spot that has the potential to go bad during a storm.

6. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

I second that! Plug and play, diagram on the pump, no added connections!

7. cwlo230

cwlo230 Junior Member
    from Midwest

Same pin on mine yesterday!

Yup, same pin went bad on mine after it being bent for a couple seasons. Explains why the tower raise function wasn't always working right away.

Sounds like the harness replacement approach is probably the best, given the cost of failure.

Chris

8. kurtandshan

kurtandshan Senior Member

If I can do it...ANYONE can. It's really quite simple.

9. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

It wont take but a hour to replace the harness. Its no big deal. No special tools required either. I always unhook one wire at a time. If I unhook a white wire I hook that same white wire up to the same pin it came off of. That way no mistakes can be made.

10. PLOWZOMBIE

PLOWZOMBIE Junior Member

I replaced the plug on mine two years ago no problem. 40 for the plug or 190 for the harness.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Repair connector. Make sure to add a little dielectric and shrink the heat shrink connectors. they are adhesive heat shrink so they seal VERY well. I normally don't recommend wrapping them in electric tape, it creates a place for crap and moisture to get trapped.

12. mnguy

mnguy Member

My pin broke last night now I am dealing with buying the kit or the whole harness. Probably buy the kit now because we are getting snow in a few hours and maybe the kit in the spring. I wonder why that one pin breaks for everyone.

13. Hywayman

Hywayman Junior Member

Resurrecting old thread as it is happening to me on new plow. That one pin prevents the connector from going on and when I look at the pins, one is slightly bent, so I gently bend it back but how long can you keep bending the pin! Shop I bought it from is no help, they have never heard of this and their helpful advise is to be careful and make sure I push and pull on straight!

My last Boss was the same plow and connector and had it for 15 years and it never gave a lick of trouble.

14. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

Sounds like you've got a real winner of a dealer there.
    Eventually that pin WILL break if you keep bending it.

BOSS Part number for the 13 pin plow-side repair harness/plug is MSC04754. Buy one, SOLDER and heat shrink and/or tape the new one on and you'll be good again. Take your time, make sure you don't mix any of them up. When I did mine some of the wires on the old one were hard to identify because the wire coloring had faded so I had to confirm a few with a meter.

I also staggered my connections so I didn't have one huge area where they were all spliced, looks neater and more manageable.

I read somewhere they modified the plug to prevent or at least minimize it from happening again.

15. jonniesmooth

jonniesmooth Senior Member

one wire

I have an RT2 11 pin that I had to replace the plug ends on several years ago. since then I had one wire break, and I just ran a new wire and zip tied it to the harness and put a bullet disconnect on it, for when the plow has to come off.

16. Hywayman

Hywayman Junior Member

The plow is still under warranty and I contacted Boss directly about this pin issue. They say the plow side connector might have been "molded incorrectly" and will warranty the repair. I went back to the installing dealer and he had several new pigtail's hanging on the wall. He claims that is the fix, a new pigtail and they insist crimping and heat shrink tubing is the way to go but offer no real reasons why. They tell me they do many of these and argue that crimping is actually better than soldering. This goes against my thinking, it seems crimping is just 13 more places for a failure to occur down the road.

Would you do this under warranty as they outline? Not sure I have a choice, either take the crimped pigtail or buy one and do it myself.

Man, brand new plow!

17. k1768

k1768 Senior Member
    from NJ

If I was in the same position....
    I would call BOSS back, advise them that the dealer wants to crimp rather than solder, that is an unacceptable repair for me. Would they please send me the new pig tail free of charge and I would do the repair myself.
    Now, I am very comfortable doing soldering work, therefore this is not a problem for me. If a solder job is done poorly, it can be weaker than a crimp connector. A proper solder job is stronger, better, longer lasting, less susceptible to future failure or corrosion.
    The potential downside.... BOSS will likely reach out to your dealer and ask why they are not taking care of you. That could decrease your dealer's willingness to help you in the future.

18. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

A lot of people are moving to quality crimps. I've never soldered a wire after working on trucks for 10 years.

19. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

X2 on the crimps. The repair end from boss has high quality components. My only repair lasted 8 years and was still fine when I sold the plow. If you don't want it crimped, better ask for a harness.