1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'13 or newer Rams with the DEF system

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by JustJeff, Aug 28, 2015.

1. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Just curious, is there anybody else with a '13 or newer Ram with a Cummins having problems with their DEF system? I've had mine into the dealership six or seven times having problems with it. Just want to know if I'm the only one.

2. buildinon

buildinon Senior Member

I am waiting to see if DODGE is buying my truck back or fixing it with the recall :/

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like it needs a PS special.

4. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Does it have DEF?

Not a single problem with my DEF system. Driving around town I'm getting close to 5,000 miles out of a full tank.

5. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

cumminsfourm.com.
    http://www.cumminsforum.com/forum/

yes, for some, issues have popped up with the def system.

as for the recall buy back, not all trucks are going to be offered it..
    & your not going to make out like a bandit, but you will get a deal on a new ram.....

6. JustJeff

I sure wish I could find a way to get them to either buy mine back or get a decent deal on a new model. The last dealership I went to told me that there must have been a foreign substance in the DEF tank which caused it to stop working, and they told me I should replace the entire DEF system to the tune of 5,500 bucks! They don't want to warranty it. Truck has less than 30K on the clock and I've been having problems with it from day one. I've even contacted the Cummins company, and they told me that they can't touch it while it's under warranty, and even when the warranty has expired there are only a few things that they are allowed to work on for some reason.

Or I'd like to find a way to get rid of the entire system and still be able to pass emissions. Somebody told me (I don't know if it's true or not), that you can't disable or remove the DEF system because the truck won't run without it. I don't know how that can be true since mine hasn't been working for the last six months or so, and it's running just fine other than the check engine light being on.

7. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

There in there lies the rub.
    Tony owners the place, (ram) and they buy the engines from cummins
    Without a warranty as you found out.

The recalls are over a steering component recall that was a failure
    (A recall on a recall insued that took years for sure t get service,
    Then a bunch of bad steering gear boxes had brittle shafts.

I don't thing the def has gotten to the recall point.

Ps they like to deny a warnty work over forgien fluids.

You may want to look at the vents on the top of your tank and run a hose from then to a vent cap , it's the 1# place for water to get into the tank.

I love my cummins I deal with the wrapper .....

Ps I was at the local cummins power and they are going to run my rack when I get to 100k.
    They will help, just tell them you truck is flaged and your on your own for repairs

Delets, at some point your truck should go into limp mode 40 mph tops then just stop.
    EFI live can shut the emissions off but your warnty is gone and you'll have to refash it and put the emissions back on to pass emissions ...
    No testing in my part of the woods....
    What's a power train warnty?;)

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  8. 1olddogtwo

No emission test here in the great state of ILL.

Every diesel I've owned has been, lets say.....Reworked

They do test diesel, just not out weight class.

9. JustJeff

Pat, there IS emissions in IL. I've been going through it for years. But it's a regional thing. I don't think the Rockford area has it either, but we do have it here. But I don't know what you mean when you say "They do test diesel, just not out weight class". You meant our weight class, right? And they don't test the diesels on superduty's?

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  10. 1olddogtwo

I think 16000 and above are tested, driving right now can't do a lot of research

Screenshot_2015-08-28-17-17-36.jpg

11. 1olddogtwo

OK, its 14K and above.

My 350 gvw is 11,300 or 11,500. Either way its below the threshold.

I guess I should really upgrade my plate from B to a D but I've had it since 1999 why change it now

12. JustJeff

13. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Do these have a dpf on them still?

14. JustJeff

Honestly, I don't even know what a DPF system is.

15. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

You may want to go back to the dealer and give them a "friendly reminder" on the warranty for emissions/safety components. Items like seatbelts, cat converters and such usually have a much higher warranty period on them. They can get into some federal issues if they aren't fixing that stuff and fast. If your truck is under the 3yr/36k warranty, there is no way in heck they shouldn't be fixing it pronto.

16. JustJeff

Derek, I would think so as well, and agree with you, but as posted above, the last dealer insisted that there was a foreign liquid in my DEF tank that would void the warranty. They had a little glass jar or some clear liquid in it that they said the tech removed from the tank. It smelled too. I don't know how they got that, because the DEF that goes in the DEF tank is blue. I'm at a loss. My plan is to take it to a friend of mine who's a mechanic, have him drain the tank, put some fresh DEF in the tank and then take it to another dealer and see what happens. Don't know if it will work or not, but at this point it's worth a try. If they still won't warranty it I'll take it to a new dealer and trade it in. I'm still under the 3/36 warranty, and I believe this would fall under the 100K powertrain warranty anyway. And I even bought a bumper to bumper 100K warranty in addition. Anyway, if I can't get it fixed and take it to yet another new dealer to trade it in, when they look at it and see that the check engine light is on, I'll tell them that it's still under warranty, and should be able to trade it in with no problem. Hopefully anyway. It's too bad too, because other than this DEF problem I've had no other issues, and love the truck.

17. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Nope. Have them prove it to you. Ask to see the lab report from where they sent that "foreign material" they found in your tank to a lab and had it tested and see what it is. They do this all the time with engine oil when an engine manufacturer or oil company doesn't want to warranty an engine by blaming it on an oil contaminant or a use of non approved grade of oil. Bet they don't have one. Next, were you there when they drained the tank and you saw that stuff in the jar come from your truck? Bet not. How do you know that isn't a jar they keep up in the service manager's office desk to pull out at random when they need it to explain away something they don't know how to or want to fix? Then I would ask to see the defect in the tank or its seal where the foreign material got in there because you KNOW you didn't put it in there. Like I said, I think I would push a little harder before I caved in and ditched the truck, especially if you paid extra for an additional warranty. If all else fails, tell them you are going to contact the parent company Chrysler/Dodge and possibly involve your attorney. I bet they find some way to fix it under warranty.

18. JustJeff

Derek I agree. I'm going to do that, but first I'm going to drain the DEF tank like I said, and refill it with new DEF, then if they try the same thing I'll be positive that they're trying to pull a fast one on me. I just hate having to jump through all of these hoops for warranty work when I've done nothing wrong. It shouldn't be this way. I can still trade it in an get a full refund on the extended warranty since it hasn't even started yet.

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

I agree some dealers do pull crap,

But why is ram responsible for what is put in the tank?
    I'm not saying you put somthing in there but someone else could have.

This part did not fail becuse of a defect, as far as we know.

Do I think it's ruined no just need to be cleaned out and the codes cleared,
    Cycle the key a few times without starting it, they give her a try.

Jmo

20. JustJeff

SnoFarmer, are you sure EFI Live would bypass the DEF system? If so, I could deal with that too as long as someone could clear the existing codes and turn off the check engine light. I guess I could live without the warranty if this worked because it's the only problem I've ever had with the truck. I've got an EFI dealer not too far away, so I may check into that.