1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

13 GMC 2500/ Boss SD - outside temp reading way off with plow connected

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by greensidelg, Dec 9, 2013.

1. greensidelg

greensidelg Junior Member
    from CT

I have a 2013 GMC 2500HD with a new Boss Super Duty 8' Straight Blade Plow. When the plow is connected the outside temperature on the dash reads very high...today with temps in the low 30's it was reading anywhere between 70-80f. For a short time it read in the 40's but quickly jumped up. Has anyone experienced this before or does anyone have any idea why this is happening?

Thanks!

2. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

The outside temp sensor is in the grill area. with the plow on it disturbs air flow through the grill so heat from the radiator effects the temp reading. Even my 2001 does it.

3. greensidelg

from CT

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I had a feeling that might be the case. What a pain in the neck, the outside temp is nice info to have when plowing!

4. South Seneca

South Seneca Senior Member

That same disturbed air flow causes some trucks to overheat, especially when climbing hills etc.

5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

I had that problem with 1998, 2001, 2003, 2005, 2007, and my 2013 Silverado.

I which they would fix it, its nice to know the air temp for record keeping and ice management.

6. greensidelg

from CT

I wonder if it's possible/reasonably simple to relocate the sensor.

7. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure, as I never really looked.

8. blizzardsnow

blizzardsnow Member

Mine will often return to normal after plowing in the lot for a bit because the plow stays down long enough to lower the temp readout. But if you were hoping to enter the data right after you pull in from driving you're gonna be dissapointed.

9. greensidelg

from CT

Thanks again for the input guys. If I get a chance I'll check into relocating the sensor and let you know what I find out. Happy plowing