1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

13 GMC 1500 - how heavy of a plow will it take?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by APBrodeur, Oct 22, 2013.

1. APBrodeur

APBrodeur Junior Member

Hi all,

First time posting. Looking to get input on transferring my Snoway 29HD weighing in at 635 lbs to my new 2013 1500 Sierra. It's an extra cab Z71 with the 5.3L. I'm prepared to put in a 2" front level kit and Timbren SES stops as well. No manufacturers recommend this heavy of a plow but I know guys with 7.5 Fisher HDs on 08/09's and they seem ok. Fisher HD is 6pm lbs, not sure if this is with or with ought subframe. I'm only plowing my 6 residential driveways all in town, so driving long distances with plow is not an issue. Thoughts, ideas, input please.

Also, vote on led vs halogen auxilary back up lamps. I'm looking at dmk vs hella HL 400.

Thanks in advance for any input / advice

2. DuramaxLML-42

DuramaxLML-42 Senior Member

Go for it. My brother has an 04 1500 lifted reg cab short bed with a 7.6 western pro plow. He wishes he got an 8 but too late now! You will need the leveling kit and timbrens though. I hate that GM switched the 1500's to springs instead of Tbars. You cant up the Weight with springs. You should be fine. Good luck!
  3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Snoway plow.
  4. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

7'6" Fisher HD. I have the 2012 GMC 1500 & it works great
  5. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

You can put an HD blade on a half ton but Fisher makes a half ton series plow for a reason. Some installers won't put an HD plow on a half ton because it exceeds manufacturer specs. If you're only planning on 6 driveways get the HTS plow. If you're going to grow then I'd suggest the standard duty.
  6. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Or he can just use the plow he already has and save a couple grand.
  7. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

They may not recommend it but you can install it on there. Dealer might not do it but it is possable. Shoot me an email address is in my signature