1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

13 2500hd w/fgawr of 4400, help!

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by conmag, Sep 1, 2016.

1. conmag

conmag Junior Member

I bought a 13 2500hd to plow with and when I started calling dealers about plow install I found out I only have the 4400 axle rating. Boss dealer told me they would put the 8ft super duty on it even though it's not recommended and said it would void my warranty if I did. Western said they would only put the mid weight 7.6 on it.

I have been told that using a 7.6 is not wide enough for my truck and I will be running over the snow I just plowed with any angle on the plow. Also heard that the mid weight plow will get the crap kicked out of it from a 3/4 ton.

Anyone dealt with these issues before and have any suggestions or options for me?! Thanks.

2. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

To spec you bought the wrong truck. Most likely a southern truck.

That being said I'm sure if you Google enough you can buy the right torsion bars to make it not sag.

Buy a plow and install it yourself.

3. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Good advice right there .

4. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

Swap out the front springs. I wouldn't put anything less than an 8' on that truck either. And preferably an 8'-6". But to get by, and have a more efficient blade than just a straight blade, you could have them put on the 7'-6" blade, and add wings to it.

5. conmag

conmag Junior Member

Thanks for all the info. I will prob go with the 8ft, crank up the torsion bars and put some timbrens on.

Does anyone know if there is any other parts besides to torsion bars that make the difference between the 4400 and 4800 axle rating? Most people I talked to said its just the torsion bars but 1 guy said he thought it was more than just those...

6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

Just the bars.....what did the other say?

7. LapeerLandscape

LapeerLandscape PlowSite.com Addict

As for the warranty part (assuming your talking about the truck) if you go with a larger plow how are they going to know what plow you have unless you tell them. If your plow dealer wont install the plow you want just buy the stuff and buy it and have it put on by someone else.

conmag and Philbilly2 like this.
  8. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

Hang as big of plow as you want... it is YOUR truck. :nod:

But, on a serious note, I would not personally worry about the rating. Tons of us have been hanging plows that are way over the ratings for years.

7.5 is way to small for that truck as you will run over your windrows. As stated above, I also would not even go with an 8ft. It makes it really tight when trying to clean next to... well anything.

conmag likes this.
  9. conmag

conmag Junior Member

I heard control arms and POSSIBLY ball joints..

10. conmag

conmag Junior Member

Also just read that the steering gear is different?

11. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

:confused::confused::confused: