1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'13-'14 Rams

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Broncslefty7, Jul 23, 2014.

1. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

anyone having expirience plowing with the new ram trucks. looking for some feed back, may be switching from ford. any reviews or pictures of the rams holding plows would be great. looking to purchase 2 3500 pick ups

THANKS!

2. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Why switch from the Fords? I know the Ram is nice inside, but the knob shifter is a huge fail.
    I personally will stay with the most used brand in plowing. '15 F350 XLT diesel being ordered the 1st of September. Upfitted with a 1.8 yard fisher polysander and 9.5' XV-2.

3. Whiffyspark

Whiffyspark 2000 Club Member
    from SOMD

I was going to ask about that. I thought the knob was staying in the 1500s

4. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

And the most broken diesel(s) of all time

5. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That's a name game. I've owns a dozen or so over the years....tuned and beat to hell. My 1st 6.0 failed and ford replaced the truck.....best deal of my life too. I dont know about dodge but with any emissions now a days will gibe you problems.

6. CornerStoneProp

CornerStoneProp Senior Member

I have a new 2014 2500 CCSB now and put my SnowDogg VX85 on it. I have not plowed yet, but will need to add timbrens on it to hold the plow better, but from there I think it will be fine. I have the 6.7 as well which has plenty of power and 20+ MPG highway.

7. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

I don't know, Chevy's looking decent too. Just in here to stir up the brand debate. :laughing:

8. Buswell Forest

from NH

Wasn't a ford diesel that broke. The current ford made 6.7 diesel is a great engine, like the old IH 7.3 td was. And it's hard to argue with 440 hp and 860 fpt.
    The Super Duty is built for work. There is no denying it.
    That said, I am sure a 3500 RAM is more than capable.
    I may be wrong about the MAYTAG transmission shift knob. I assumed it was in all RAM trucks.

9. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

Buswell Forest,not to get to far off topic but why the switch from gas to diesel?Good luck with the new truck.

10. Broncslefty7

Broncslefty7 Senior Member

the shift nob is only in the 1500's. dont really care how they look inside we woul only be buying tradesmans. i have a '14 6.7 i would say that they didnt reinvent the 7.3. i was speaking to a gentlemn last night that does 4-5 condos and he said something that threw me off a little bit. he said "we switched from diesel to gas because we where blowing too many tansmissions plowing with the deisel"...

11. TJ'S Property

TJ'S Property Junior Member
    from CT

i have 2 new rams One hemi and 1 cummins could not be happier at this point plowed through a very tuff winter will be adding a 550 or another 3500 this winter.

12. Buswell Forest

from NH

I know a guy who owns like 30 Super Duty diesels. They are logging service trucks, concrete crew trucks, and plow company trucks. I will ask him.
    Off hand, I would say they simply overheated them or otherwise abused them.
    I am a firm believer in buying new when the bumper to bumper runs out as far as plow trucks go. Personal use is different, but in this biz, reliability is paramount.

13. Buswell Forest

from NH

I have an F250 with a 10,000 gvw rating. I am buying a sander this year, and with that on back @ 4500 lbs, and the plow on front @1000 lbs, it is over weight. Since I want more gvw, I figure the extra whampum is worth the costs. $8500 up front, but it is regained @ trade. The fuel costs should be offset by the fuel economy. It will not have to work as hard as the gasser would have with a sander.
    Also, I want the XV-2.
    And Ford Motor credit will finance the truck, plow, and sander as a package. If I can finance the $10k costs of the plow and sander @ 1.9%, I am crazy not to. Never get a better rate anywhere else.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  14. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Trip edges will say transmissions.,.

15. Buswell Forest

from NH

Here ya go. They say abuse. Same exact transmissions in both gas and diesel too btw..

http://www.freedomsledder.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=80952

16. RONK

RONK Senior Member
    from NJ

Great reasons.All trucks have good and bad,don't let anyone talk you out of what truck you want.Please post pictures when you get it,again good luck with it.

17. JustJeff

JustJeff 2000 Club Member

I can give you a firsthand perspective rather than all of the other "gossip" being spread around. I'm not going to bad mouth any other manufacturers as I believe all of the domestic super duty trucks are well made. I plowed A LOT with my '13 2500 6.7 and had zero problems plowing. I added timbrens and the front end drops 1 inch with the plow up, and it's a thousand pound plow. I have had numerous problems with the DEF system though. It's not hurting the truck, but the check engine light has come on four times now and the dealer has yet to find out what the problem is. The code keeps coming up as "erroneous code". I believe my dealer is just incompetent though, they seem to know absolutely nothing about diesels. Love the truck and it's plowing ability though.