1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

13-14 HD diesel ram truck?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by jerseydrew, Oct 18, 2013.

1. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

thinking about getting a new truck in spring. have a few questions...

what do you like/dislike about your dodge ram truck?
    what is the mpg on the diesel hd trucks?
    how horrible are the maintenance costs on a diesel?

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Well it depends if you want to install a plow on it. Dodge changed their frame on the Diesel and no one has a mounting kit yet, also beware of headlights, some of their light packages have no adapters for plow use available yet

3. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

would it be different for the hemi motor?

*edit* just went to western's site and they have diesel in the 3500 not the 2500. and gas motor mounts on both hd's

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Frames on the gasser haven't changed all the manufacturers have mounts in the system.

They show them for the 250 diesel also, only let you carry a mid-weight but they list them. However; All the manufacturers have assigned a part number but shipping a psychical object is another story.

remember make sure the truck has either the H13, HB3/H11, HB3/HIR2 headlights

5. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

so does anyone want to answer the original questions?

6. jhenderson9196

jhenderson9196 Senior Member

The subject has been discussed to death. The consensus seems to be , unless you keep your truck over 100,000 miles and work it hard for most of them, you will never get your investment back because of the cost of the diesel option.

7. jerseydrew

jerseydrew Senior Member
    from jersey

i do keep my vehicles about 150k miles. i do not kill my vehicles but i don't baby them either.

8. jhenderson9196

Mean work them hard. Towing over 10,000 lbs on a regular basis, plowing over 8 hrs per storm etc. If not, the fuel savings don't add up to the cost of the option.

9. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Mounts are showing up for the diesels.

10. Green Grass

Green Grass PlowSite Fanatic

I purchased a 2013 Ram about two months ago. I switched from running a 2011 F350 and you could not get me to go back. This truck is great!! On the diesel running down the highway at 70 I can get about 21 MPG mixed driving I average 17 MPG and towing equipment is 13-15 MPG depending on how much weight. The maintenance is not anymore then owning any other diesel. Some have talked about not bring able to get mounts. It is true that the 2013 3500 frame is different but the mounts and headlamp harness are available now and I should see mine any day.

11. outdoorimagesct

outdoorimagesct Junior Member

I love my 2013 Ram 5500. Nothing compares to it. I can pull a house down with it or tow crane down the highway at 75mph.

12. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

They'll run better Without DPF

13. outdoorimagesct

outdoorimagesct Junior Member

Do you mean DEF?

14. jhenderson9196

No.He means the diesel particulate filter.

15. FIREMAN Q

FIREMAN Q Senior Member

Just switched from a 06 Powerstroke...i won't look back!

Nothing I do not like about my Dodge except maybe a few minor amenities.

I am currently at 2500 miles and averaging 14 mph. The break in time on these trucks is 6000. So time will tell. Get about 18 on the highway.

Maintenance costs are a bit higher than gas but well worth the extra if you plan on working your truck.

If you only tow your boat to the lake a couple times a year and plow a handfull of drives then I don't know if you would really need a CTD.

Look for a 2013 left over and you will get a great deal. I got my price down 9K from sticker.

Good luck.:drinkup:

16. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

Fireman Q. You will love and hate some things about the Dodge trucks given some time. The biggest complaint to me is the front ends followed by the wiring. Other than this they are great trucks and will run forever. Or at least the engine......

I have driven a few 6.0l Fords and laugh inside when the owners rave about the power and how well they pull. Yes they will pull but just not like the cummins. As for the break in time more like 60-70k miles is when the fuel mileage stops getting better.

17. jmac5058

jmac5058 Senior Member

Your comparing a 2003 6.0 to a brand new Dog Cummins ? A 2014 Ford diesel will blow away a Cumming in every way and has a much better truck around the motor. The milage will keep improving for years to come unlike a Dodge Hemi that best day milage wise happens the day you drive off the lot and gets worse every day thereafter.

18. DAFFMOBILEWASH

DAFFMOBILEWASH PlowSite.com Addict

:mechanic: Said the guy who pulls his cab to do any motor work!! Good luck with you newest gamble, blue ovals rock !!!! :salute:

19. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I love the new Fords and the 6.7, I actually love all of the big 3 trucks (3/4 & 1 tons since there isn't a bad one out). But for 2015 Ford had to redesign nearly the entire injection/fuel system and the turbo due to the issues they were having with it. The turbo's have been crapping out anywhere from 30k to 100k miles, and when replaced generally die again much sooner.

As for the rest of the truck - I do like my 02 better than my previous Dodge trucks - but there is very little seperating a 99 F350 from a 15 F350 in regards to Frame & Body which I find aggrivating. Ford really needs to change this - pretty sad when the door off a 99 can be put on a 14 and no one would know the difference.

The new Rams are really nice, they have an awesome new frame and beefed up running gear, plus the cabs are real solid now.

20. Robinson_Cnst

Robinson_Cnst Senior Member

Does the 5500 have a plow? What size?

I have a 05 3500 now but am considering moving up to a 5500 in order to run a big boy plow. Pics please!