1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

12v power plug dead

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by NEXTDAYSIGNS, Dec 4, 2007.

1. NEXTDAYSIGNS

NEXTDAYSIGNS Member

Here is my question, my 12v aux plug in the dash of my 03 2500HD is dead. I just had my cluster replaced and now it goes dead. Of course the dealers said we had nothing to do with it. I checked the fuses they all look to be good.( I checked the one on the drivers door panel) I guess the next thing is to pull the trim off and make sure everything is good. Any one had this problem or have ideas. Thanks in advance.

2. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

The same thing just happened to one of my plugs. 2 of 'em work but the 3rd one is dead. Keep us posted if you find out.

3. aulen

aulen Junior Member

Mine wasn't working either...elect. wires/plug had come off the back. 1st thing to check after fuse.

They might not have re-attached it!

4. millsaps118

Now all 3 of mine are dead! I can't even find the fuse, where is it? Under the hood or driver side dash. What amp fuse?

5. tkrepairs

tkrepairs Senior Member
    from maine

fuses should be labeled on the panel with the amperage and what they go to. i would pull the panel for the outlets and see whats going on back there after the fuses are checked.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The fuses for the cig lighter and the accessory power outlets are in the under hood fuse panel..

The one for the power outlets is marked: "AUX POWER" and should be a 20 amp fuse.
    The cig lighter should be marked "CIG LIGHTER" and have a 15 amp fuse.

Not all trucks are marked with the cig lighter fuse...

If the fuses check out OK then take a test light and actually check the accessory socket for power.. sometimes they'll have power but won't work.. this is usually do to either the socket being defective or the ground wire that grounds the sockets falling off or accidentally being disconnected while working in the dash.

7. millsaps118

O.K.....found the fuses. the CIG fuse was blown(15amp) but my AUX fuse is good (20amp) and plugs still dont work. I don't have a test light so I couldn't test the socket. I'll go buy a test light tomorrow, how do I test the socket for pwr?

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Connect your test light to a ground source and stick the end of the test light down into the center of the socket..

the hot 12V contact is dead center in the bottom of the socket. If it lights the test light, then you have power, so it would have to be a ground problem then.

Note: If you touch any other part of the socket with the side of the light while you have it on the center post it will short out the socket and pop the fuse again...it won't hurt anything, but if you discover you don't have power after checking it, recheck the fuse again.

9. millsaps118

B&B thanks....I'll test it tomorrow.

NextDay... Sorry dude didn't mean to hijack your thread.:drinkup: