1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

12V Motor solenoid

Discussion in 'Meyer / Diamond Products Discussion' started by james.j.smith, Dec 29, 2010.

1. james.j.smith

james.j.smith Senior Member
    from 19033

Is there anything special about the 12V Motor solenoid under the hood? Can I just go to the auto parts store and buy a continiouse duty starter solenoid? Or is it necessary to buy a meyers solenoid? I just replaced the one in my truck since the old one was sticking and it appears to be bad. The small terminal that the white wire conects to for the slick stick is putting out 12V constantly and when you engage the stick it drops to 6V. I thought I bought a meyers replacement part from mill supply online.

2. dave_dj1

dave_dj1 Senior Member
    from NY

You don't need a Meyer solenoid per se' You do have to be careful that the one you buy is one) a continuous duty and two) is positive voltage applied to activate. There are some that require grounding the little terminal to activate, you don't want one of those (one for a western plow comes to mind) I use the SAM solenoid for Meyer plows and so far I've had good luck with them. Their cost is about $8.95 at Advance Auto or NAPA.
    The white wire that comes from the switch to the solenoid should only have power when you push up, left or right, no need for the solenoid to get energised to lower the plow.
    You could possibly have a bad new one or if it wasn't continuous duty it could be melted to the on position.
    Good luck!
    Side note, the solenoid does have to mounted, it grounds through the mounting holes only.

3. james.j.smith

from 19033

thanks for the input I'm going to try and get one at parts plus.this weekend

4. james.j.smith

from 19033

I'm going to get one today do you know the part number of the solenoid I should get