1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

12v motor not strong

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Iceland, Dec 30, 2013.

1. Iceland

Iceland Junior Member

I have á Mayer mini salt spreader. It has a 12v motor that I feel like is going soft. How strong should this motor be? Can you hold the disk by hand?

Thank you

2. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Not sure about Meyer but Snowex tailgate spreaders can be spun by hand.

What makes you think the motor is weak?

3. Iceland

Iceland Junior Member

The motor need´s a little push to start spinning and it takes little salt to stop it.. I thought this motors would have some power.

Is there a way to measure the motors electric usage, if it is taking to much or not? How much should this motor consume?

The unit looks like this one

4. Drottlawn

Drottlawn Senior Member

I used to run those years ago. The internal brushes of the motor are worn or corroded. I tried redoing them and it helped for a little while. Just spend the money and put a new motor on. Believe me it is worth it. Ebay the motor.
    By the way, it sucks getting the spinner and auger off. With a torch, you may get lucky and get them off. Plan on buying a new spinner and auger with the motor. There are some kits on ebay with everything you need.:salute:

Last edited: Jan 1, 2014
  5. SnowGuy73

SnowGuy73 PlowSite Fanatic

Agreed........