1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

12V heaters

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by turbo5560, Jan 2, 2009.

1. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

not sure where to post this, but i am renting a CAT 904 for the winter and while it does have heat that keeps the windows defrosted and my hands warm my feet nearly get frost bit even with winter boots on. I was looking into getting some type of 12V heater but didn't know if one it would be too much for a little loader like that and two if there are any decent heaters out there. The little looking that i have done say that aren't much good and some even start on fire. A point in the right direction would be appreciated! Thanks!
  2. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i've always used one to defrost the back window in my Gehl SS, but i have never found one that would really heat anything more than just a small spot on the window....might try a 12v fan(without heat) just to help circulate the air better....
  3. turbo5560

turbo5560 Senior Member

ya, all i want to do is keep my foot warm.... I swear a couple weeks ago if i was in that loader another 20 minutes i would of had frost bit.
  4. wirenut

wirenut Senior Member
    from nh

try heated socks
    kittery trading post,cabrelas any out door place should have em
    i got a pair they run on a d cell

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

go to a motorcycle shop and pickup a pair of 12v heated socks wont be cheap but runs off 12v

6. russ130

russ130 Senior Member

I was in advance auto parts today and they had a oscillating heater/fan that plugs into the cigar lighter for a little under $20. You can also opt to turn off the heat and just run the fan. Might be just right for your toes. It was made by Rally in case you need to call around.
  7. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

Get some of those hand warmers, that are sold at every lumber yard in the US. they come in packages of two, and are air activated. Throw one of those is each boot and call it good. They work great.
  8. Upper5percent

Upper5percent Member
    from USofA

9. sluggermn

sluggermn Member

the way to do hand warmers is to put them on the inside of your ankle in side your sock and then put your boots on. This does double duty it warms the blood going to your toes and the blood going back to your heart, your will stay warm all night!
    we do this deer hunting when we will be sitting in a blind for quite a while keeps you nice and cozy. this also works if you tape them to the inside of your wrist!! keeps your fingers from stiffening up and feeling frost bit!

10. Snowchief

Snowchief Member

Maybe pick up a pair mickey mouse boots at the local army surplus store. Google "bunny boots" or "vapor barrier boots" if you haven't heard of them. They're the only thing i ever found that will work while you're sitting still in the cold. Buy 1-2 sizes smaller than your shoe size (12 shoe = 10 boot)

I use the white ones steelhead fishing and that's pretty bad conditions - you sit still in a jonboat for hours while its 10-20 degrees outside. these work fine in those conditions with just cotton socks and no heatpacks.
  11. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

Check a decent sized truck stop, lots of 12 volt stuff there.
  12. Brad3403

Brad3403 Senior Member
    from Alberta

Something else you might want to try is a catalytic heater. This is what people use quite often in tents. They use a small green propane tank and can put out 3000 BTU's. You just need a way to secure it in the cab. I was going to pick up one for my skidsteer but we figured that the thermostat may not be working right in the motor so we changed that first. That did the trick, now we only need the heater on medium and it works great.
  13. Dustball

Dustball Senior Member

I use a Coleman ProCat heater to warm up the cab of my diesel during the time the engine is warming up. It does a nice job of getting the cab warm and doesn't smell.

It's rated for indoor/tent use so I don't worry much about using it in the cab.
  14. CityGuy

CityGuy PlowSite Fanatic

15. [​IMG]

Best foot heater you will ever buy. Its 800 grams Thinsulate by Rockyboots.com

I wear these boots ice fishing in -30C temps with my feet planted on the ice for a good 8 to 10 hours. Not once do my feet get cold...

You can buy them at Bass Pro Shops. I got mine on sale there for I think $125.00

Trust me, best investment you'll ever make...
  16. sven1277

sven1277 Senior Member

All negative comments on that jc whitney product