1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

12V Generator on D-6

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by BuckBenham, Mar 21, 2004.

1. BuckBenham

BuckBenham Junior Member

I have an old D-6 8U that has a 12V generator battery charging circuit. Since I bought it the generator hasn't worked. There is a wire that comes from the amp meter to the regulator that measures 12V, but no voltage can be measured at any other contact of the regulator or at the posts of the generator. I took the end plate off and the only fault I could see is that the inside looks a little oily. The bearing oil point probably has had too much oil put in. The brushes are there and aren't worn out.
    I'm wondering if maybe the regulator is just bad. What should I measure on the different contacts on the regulator? Can someone maybe describe how the whole thing should be wired? Maybe it isn't wired right to start with, I think some shade tree mechanic (like me) had worked on it before I got the dozer. Someone tells me that the field may need "flashing". Does anyone know how this is done?
    Thanks,
    Buck

2. CatDieselPower

CatDieselPower Junior Member

Does it have a cutout relay or charging rate switch?

3. BuckBenham

BuckBenham Junior Member

It has a cut out relay. The regulator has three relays. I've been reading and I think I may have it figured out. First I have to clean the oil off everything, brushes, etc.. And in general clean up everything. The regulator may be bad, but I think I'll clean up and try it again.
    The only thing I can't understand from what I read is how does the generator start creating voltage without the battery voltage getting to the field coils. I see how it works after after the generator starts working and the cutout relay closes. Is it the residual magnet effect that allows it to start to generate voltage at first?