1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

125 amp alternator?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by justgeorge, Nov 26, 2011.

1. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm installing my new Salt Dogg HPE2000 box spreader. The instructions call for a minimum 135 amp alternator. I called the Chevy dealer, gave them my VIN number, they said I have a 125 amp. So I'm checking around for bigger alternators and I'm getting different stories. O'Reillys didn't have one that would match, PepBoys parts counter said they had a 145 amp that would match, service department said they didn't think it would. It was $140 I think. Then I called my Chevy dealer, they said they have a 145 amp that would match and it's $360!

So my question is, is that extra 10 or 20 amp really needed? I have the 6.0 gas engine, roof strobe and backup lights are LEDs.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't worry about it to start. Keep an eye on the voltage gauge when salting. A good digital voltmeter would be a smart addition. Turn the heat and radio down, and any unneeded lights. If voltage is consistently dropping below 13, maybe make some changes.
  3. 4700dan

4700dan Senior Member
    from Ohio

Run a couple deep cell marine batteries that will help the alternator Thumbs Up
  4. justgeorge

justgeorge Senior Member

Thanks. Turning the heat down could be a problem if running the defroster. I'll keep checking on it but move it down my priority list on the install.....
  5. lilweeds

lilweeds PlowSite.com Addict

You can run the bigger 145 amp alt on your truck, but you will need to upgrade the charging cable and change belts.
  6. herbert02

herbert02 Member

I have 6.0 silverado and went to a bigger alternator but was also running lights (strobes), plow and cooling fan all the time. I guess it depends how long you are in the truck and how much abuse your giving it.
  7. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We haven't upgraded alternators, not sure off hand what they are though, your not running your plow & salter at the same time though. Personally I would run it & keep an eye on it.