1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

120 Watt Strobes

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by EaTmYtAiLpIpEs, Nov 22, 2009.

1. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

EaTmYtAiLpIpEs 2000 Club Member

I am looking into buying hideaway strobes that are 120watt. Can anyonegive me advice on these particular strobes?

2. cameo89

cameo89 Senior Member

if they are the $100 ones on ebay, I was looking at them also' but everyone here said the get hot and not worth the money!

3. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

yep those are the ones. I am not going to have them on for periods of time. I only plan on using them because I have about 5 accounts right on a county road and I want ppl to be very aware of that i'm there. so they will be used for 5-10 mins thats all. then they will have a break.

4. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Those strobes will get hot. They can even melt your taillight lens'. The 90 watts will be just as effective.

5. Deco

Deco Senior Member

6. jeff52984

jeff52984 Member

i couldnt even imagine 120 watt I have 60 watt on my truck and at night they are bright as can be but day I wish they were alittle brighter but will still get the job done.

7. sbrennan007

sbrennan007 Senior Member

Save yourself the headache and buy from some where else.

I had recently found a place with good prices, www.needlights.com

8. EaTmYtAiLpIpEs

I just found 80watt strobes that were priced pretty good I think I am going to pick them up. $129.99.

9. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

You're not getting 60, 90 or 120 watts at the strobe. That's the Power output divided by the number of outlets. For example I have a whelen 6 strobe, 90 watt supply. That means each strobe head is getting 15 watts. Just something to look out for.

10. Strobesnmore

Strobesnmore Senior Member

You are correct these so called 120 watt kits are in fact not 120 watts and have major issues. They are all imports from overseas and not worth the money. Saving a few buck now will definitely cost you more down the road. Get a good quality Whelen or Nova strobe system and you will have years of good luck with it and no issues. I have seen these kits first hand and its usually when we are removing them from customers vehicles when they melt the lenses or the wiring shorts out. remember BUY CHEAP, GET CHEAP. Be Safe

11. 01SMOKINSD

01SMOKINSD Junior Member

I have to agree, don't buy the Chinese junk. I have been using a Whelen 690 supply and 4 strobe tubes for almost 8 years now without any problems. I have had it in two different trucks actually. I run them for hours on end while plowing and have never had an issue with them getting hot and melting the tail light housings. You can pick up a complete kit from places like www.lshlights.com for under $200. Money well spent when you consider a new tail light lense could run you as much as $50 a piece. Just my .02 worth