1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

120 tons salt stolen!!!

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by big acres, Dec 14, 2008.

1. big acres

big acres Senior Member

2. tsmith

tsmith Senior Member

Did you see how much they said in the article that it's worth, 120 tons @ $32,000. So they are saying it was worth $266 a ton, that's alot of money for salt, even with the shortage. Sounds to me like somebody's running an insurance scam. Maybe I'm wrong.

3. groundbreakers

groundbreakers Senior Member

excuse me but 120 tons of salts disappears in 2 weeks from a lawn care company storage bin .... hmmm a lil fishy smellin .... maybe the theives should have moved a lil faster with the loader .. and done it in 24 hrs ... LOL

4. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Inside job all the way. Besides how do they know the amount, did they take all of the salt? How would someone sneak 6 semi loads out? Someone will go to jail, the owner of the company. If he files a claim with his ins. co. $266/ton I don't even get that much to put it down.:dizzy: realistically with delivery he'd be closer to $13,000.

5. dhadaway632

dhadaway632 Member

In Kalamazoo our landscape supply companies are not even selling salt to contractors right now. Kalamazoo Landscape Supply has tons of salt and when I called to get some they told me that it was on hold for thier "preferred customers" meaning if I did not buy enough last year I was not on the list. I probably bought 15-20 tons last year and I guess I should have bought 25 to make the list. What sucks is now I have to find a new place to buy all of our landscape supplies. Mulders is the other landscape place in town and they just don't have enough salt to sell. I guess I can see why people are stealing salt though.

6. big acres

big acres Senior Member

Good point. It does sound like they are probably trying to add in their labor, maybe even trucking charges for bringinmg it in themselves to really soak the insurance co. Probably mooved it to aconther location.

Rain hard here and 34 degrees thereabouts... we could use that 120 tons soon.

7. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

Yeah that was Tovars snow amd Ice her ein the chicagoland I dont know where all my chicago guys are but I can tell you this these guys are sucking up work around here left and right and the real truth is that salt went MIA OVERNIGHT!!!!! not in a few weeks btw there chargeing $150 a ton for all there jobs this year!

8. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

$150 a ton spread??? WTF!

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Sounds a little fishy, but I had a friend hook up to my trailer right in my driveway and not one neighbor said anything. So I could see something like that happening.

10. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

yes guys to clerify 150 A TON SPREAD!!!!!!!!!

11. 4evergreenlawns

4evergreenlawns Senior Member

If you do not mind me asking how EXACTLY do you know that. Just saying if you are going to post something like that about a company the size of TOVAR I think you will have something to back it up.

I am sure you would not want someone to say something like PTL is cutting grass for $15.00 and acre or spreading mulch for $30.00 a yard delivered. Right?

So where did you get that information???

Ron G.

12. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

Can you say "insurance scam"?

13. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

Its actually part of the Governors plan to take over the world payup LMAO
    [​IMG]

14. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Gov's plan and $150 a ton well both bound to FAIL....or STEAL from the insurance company.....LOL

15. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

If they are getting 150 a ton spread. and they say 120 tons went MIA My math says that equals 18 grand spread.... they can't count spreading in the value of stolen salt. soooo, where do they come up with 32 grand???

I think I smell an insurance fraud investigation coming.....
    Keep us up to date.

16. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

lol the gov is holding it unitl tovars donates 10,000 to his election campaign...

17. Vinnie

Vinnie Senior Member

"NorthernSvc's lol the gov is holding it unitl tovars donates 10,000 to his election campaign... "

And Jesse Jackson Jr didnt authorize anyone to take that salt on the governors behalf LMAO:dizzy:

18. Hambrick & Co.

Hambrick & Co. PlowSite.com Addict

PLT is right about them sucking up all the big jobs. I never even heard of them three years ago now they are all over south cook county..... I am not sure about $150 per ton tho. Tovar plows my full time job lots and according to them they got the salt back. There is a trucking company next door that the "thieves" rented the semi's from to steel it. They put the address on rental form of where they took the salt to.

Blago was definetly involved in this somehow...

19. Supper Grassy

Supper Grassy Senior Member

That is a lot of salt to "disappear" unnoticed

20. stumper1620

stumper1620 Senior Member

Darwin award canadates????:dizzy: