1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

120,000 SQ FT Lot how much to Bid?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Flawless, Aug 18, 2009.

1. Flawless

Flawless Junior Member

I know these questions are everywere. Trying to find a good formula, push, salt seprate
    I have never done open lots so i don't know how long or anything. I have done apt. complexs for years. I drive though them and say $300-$500 for 2-4 inch 4.1-6 inch $450-$800. Need a little help, if not i'll bull sh__ my way though it as always.

Thanks, Jason

2. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

first of all a picture would be nice. Now to determine the price you have to know your costs and what you want to make and you have your price. how much is salt per ton? how much salt per application? how many applications?where is the snow to be pushed? what equipment are you going to use to clear the snow? how is the contract, annually, per push or hourly? many factors, more info would be nice and well go from there, i know you dont want to hear it but do a search theres tons of threads on this stuff.

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

About a dollar a CuFt squared.

4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

:confused::jester:

5. Flawless

Flawless Junior Member

i have seen .00002 per SQ Inch, i have seen .19 cents per 100 Sq FT, in this site, i do the math and i dosen't seem right. Looking for somthing better, pileing snow around light poles, no parking blocks,

6. cretebaby

Was that my number? LOL

7. Flawless

Flawless Junior Member

cretebaby, yours was .00001 then Clapper & Company said "low baller" and came back with the .00002 per inch

So...... I take 120,000 x 12 inches = 1,440,000 inches x .00002 = 28.8 what the hell is that?

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

1 sq foot is 144 sq". So you X by 144 not 12.

9. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

Oh man the clap is getting in the mix. You know he was featured in the SIMA magazine last year. I know him personally. So I got that going for me which is nice....

10. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I love it.

11. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Know your costs first then price the job.

Take the guess work out of your bidding. We have a Snow & Ice Management package that includes 3 items. #1) A comprehensive manual including how to calculate costs per hour of operation for your company based on your overhead and expenses, #2) CD quick estimator for snow & ice management that calculates plowing time, salt rates and liquid application rates if necessary. It calculates hourly pricing, flat rate pricing and or seasonal contracts. It also calculates hand-labor and sidewalk production rates, #3) CD with many different templates for service agreements, proposals, route sheets, hours of operation sheet, marketing templates and more. These templates are in Microsoft Word format and completely customizable to your company. All three for $129.95.

Feel free to give me a call at 800-845-0499 if you have any questions or would like to place an order. Thanks.

Check out our web site @ www.profitsareus.com for a snow & ice seminar near you. While you are on our site, sign up for our free news letter.

12. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Well that's roughly 3 acres. Around here that could go for around $300 per push, but that depends on who's bidding the job.

13. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

Im sorry,I dont know how the hell you can make money by pricing per sq ft,time and material,
    pickups with 7.5-8ft blades-$85.00 per hour
    dumps with salter and 9ft blade 120.00 ph
    skids with protecs $150.00 ph
    loader with protec-$200.00 ph
    labor w/ 5hp blower $35.00 ph
    just the way it has to be

14. cretebaby

Really? :confused:

I suppose your not a big fan of seasonal price then either?

15. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you know how long it takes to clear a given amount of square footage with a specific machine, what's the difference? If you're going hourly, there's no incentive to buy bigger/better/faster equipment, which allows you to take on more work, and make more money.

16. ptllandscapeIL

ptllandscapeIL Senior Member

no, i will do seasonal contracts without salt,the way salt has been going, and the last 2 chicago winters.You can loose bad if you include salt

17. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

You are right. (to a point). Everyone has to know their hourly prices like posted above. These numbers are figured out based on your overhead and the vehicles production rates.

You also have to know how long it would take to clear a lot of a certian size. Lets say that 1 acre takes you 1 hour with the 9' blade, 1.25 with the skids, etc. (these are just guesses) I figure this out by actually putting a stop watch on my truck and driving it like I would plowing. Same speed, stops, back up and do it again. I then take that time and multiply by the number of passes I will make to finish.

Once you know the hourly rate for each plow and the time it takes you to do it, you can do the math and give the customer a "per push" price instead of an hourly rate. This gives the customer a set rate so they can budget and it give you the advantage of finishing sooner and moving on to the next lot (or back to bed).

Once you have a season under your belt you can then adjust your production rates and costs so that you make money. Also, you have a real time number for plowing a certian square foot. Divide it out and you can figure out a sq. ft. price for next season. Then all you have to do is measure the parking lot and you will have the cost.

18. Wayne Volz

Wayne Volz Senior Member

Good answer quadplower. I am not agreeing just to agree, but I feel the same exact way. It's not wrong or right either way. It's what's best for your company. Many years ago we charged by the hour as well. As we got more efficient with our equipment, bigger and faster equipment we were leaving a lot of money on the table. We found that our customers liked knowing what the costs for our service were going to be before hand as well. If you do consider flat rate pricing, be sure to cover yourself in your contract with a maximum depth the flat rate covers in the case of a significant event in a short time period.

19. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

Isn't that what I said?

20. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Do a search there is a TON of info. Just rough figure 1 truck will do 1 acre in 1 hour.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2009