1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

12 ft pusher on a skidsteer

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by xtreem3d, Jan 23, 2014.

1. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

Hi Guys,
    I am about to buy a 12 ft avalanche pusher for a skidsteer (80-90 HP) . I am slightly worried it may be too big, I believe it only weighs 1500 lbs so it's not extremely heavy but am having slight doubts about the skids ability to move it with snow. FYI...We always plow with the storm...any one use a 12 footer (avalanche or other on a skidsteer) and what are your thoughts?
    TIA
    Steve
    http://www.avalancheplow.com/products/view/11/ssa-t-500

Last edited: Jan 23, 2014
  2. xc23

xc23 Member

I have a 246 cat ss 80 hp. Tried my 12 ' avalanche on it ,it pushed it but you can tell it's too much blade for the ss. Changed to a 9' and it work great no problems with any type of snow , and you are not abusing the machine. hope it helps.

3. Emans_scapes

Emans_scapes Member

We have a 12' rubber edge pusher for one of our skids. It works for light fluffy snow or cleaning up medium size windrows. Most of our accounts are long pushes and it loses traction with heavy snow. We also have a 10' with a backdrag edge. That is one of the most versatile machines IMO.

4. mach6353

mach6353 Junior Member
    from iowa

Ran 12' arctic pusher on ASV 80 track machine the last two years.On short pushes worked well but on long runs worked machine harder than I like to.Bought 10'arctic this year and have got along great with it.Think you will regret buying a 12' IMO.

5. 3bladz

3bladz Senior Member

I had a rubber edge 8 footer that was harder to push than the 10 foot arctic. I am guessing this will be dedicated to one lot and kept on site, because you can't exactly get both on a trailer at once unless it's a semi.

6. Rc2505

Rc2505 PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 12' pusher on a 100 horse power, 16,000 pound wheel loader, and the pusher is just a bit over-sized for the machine. I don't think you are going to be happy unless you have all short runs, and the snow never fills up the pusher.

7. fartbox333

fartbox333 Member

I ran a 14 footer on my New Holland 170 one winter. We had a lot of light fluffy snow that year so it wasn't totally useless. Couldn't push too far but scraped really nice so you had good traction. I'm pushing with a 8 footer now and feel much better with it. The 14 had to push straight. The 8 can push way longer and you can turn a lot easier. Can you use a 12? Probably. If you had a lot of short straight pushes it might be wort thinking about but an 8 footer is just better on the machine, can stack the snow higher, push further, better for heavy snow etc. maybe a 10?

8. xtreem3d

Thanks for all the real world replies. I had my heart set on a 12 but am probably going to stay with a 10,
    Steve

9. Ukisuperstar

Ukisuperstar Junior Member

If you put Wolf Paw tires on you will gain significant traction and speed because they are taller.

You'll need the steel edge on the pusher rather than the rubber which will create drag and slow the machine down.

If you have a dedicated operator to the machine and plow with the storm you should be fine with 12 foot with wolf paws. If you let the snow build up to 6" plus you may have trouble on longer runs.

Right now we have case420(60hp) with wolfpaws and arctic 9' with box ends. It will go 200/300ft on pushes with a full box. Also a jd323d(70hp) with camoplast sd tracks and 10' kage(1800lbs?) and will do the same 200/300ft pushes with a full box(5" of heavy snow).

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I agree. A floating hitch on the attachment can also help.

There are several SS's made, that if set up correctly, I would not even think twice about running a 12fter on it.

11. xtreem3d

This is a New Holland track machine with very aggressive tracks on it. So far with a 10 footer, rubber edge, , nothing can stop it...now you got me thinking twice ;)
    I guess the worst that could happen is it doesn't work like I hope and I have to sell it

12. BladeBlowBucket

BladeBlowBucket Member

And I'll Big-time agree with you on that one snocrete, I know I wouldn't hesitate to use one with mine ……

Just a thought tho ??? ….. Maybe your dealer would let you demo the 12' pusher, that would definitely prove right or wrong choice … if you're buying one from them anyways Why wouldn't they ???? ….. It's only Good Business ! ...

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

..........or just take smaller bites on heavier snows..........or do like me, and keep an extra (smaller) pusher on site with it. I have at least 2 skids dedicated to sites, that have an extra pusher (or some type of smaller, or different attachment) parked with them.
    Having an extra pusher or 2 is cheap insurance....and has proven to be handy over the yrs, in many ways to us.

14. xtreem3d

Sno..we will keep the 10 footer onsite with the other 2 loaders like you said....
    Blade...There aren't any dealers close to demo one unfourtunately..I'd gladly pay to demo it
    Steve

15. chris9724

chris9724 Member
    from calgary

We run an arctic ld14 on a cat 272d xhp. It will push straight just fine but if you have to turn your in trouble. We have it set up to do long straight runs works great. We get mostly lighter snow up this way. I would not want one that big if it was always wet heavy snow. Just my two cents

16. bakerproperty

bakerproperty Junior Member

Ran a 12' on are Cat 277 this year works great for light stuff but heavy snow had a problem sold it and bought a 10' works wonderful

17. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

That 14ft is 15.5

18. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

I put together two 7 footers and made a 14 footer. I do a big parking lot and it saves me so much time and no problem pushing snow even wet snow. It is a flat parking lot and we push with the storm so no big problem's. Bob Cat 630

14 foot plow.jpg

19. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Nice! Can you post more pics? particularly of the back side of the blade...I've considered doing this with a couple old plows.

Also, the Bobcat S630 is a radius lift...the SS in the pic appears to be vertical lift?:confused:

20. az landscaping

az landscaping Member
    from mass

Was a rush job before the storm didn't get to paint it.

photo-2.jpg

photo-1.jpg