1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

12' angle blade - frame bent - any ideas - w/ pics

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by sk187, Jan 20, 2008.

1. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

One of our guys hooked a catch basin today and bent our angle blades frame real bad.

Its a former county truck and the plow frame looks almost fabricated.

Does anyone have a idea where to get a frame or anything that might work.

Pics are below, any ideas or help is appreciated.

2. TJS

TJS PlowSite.com Addict

Cut the broken, bent and cracked pieces out and fabricate new ones and weld them in along with some straighting and plating. That is what I would do with that.
  3. Jon Geer

Jon Geer Member

Take it over to Ebling & Sons and they will fix you right up. I think they open @ 7am. Call Jim he'll take care of you.

4500 Roger B Chaffee Mem Dr SE
    Kentwood, MI 49548
    (616) 532-8400

4. BREAULT69

BREAULT69 Member

Torch out the bent stuff, fab new and weld in (bevel edges to get 100% penetration). Grind welds that show, prime and paint. It's like it never happened. It doesn't take as long as you would think, maybe a couple hours on that damage. I once re-did both arms on a farm tractor loader an employee curled under, did it in five hours and even sanded the welds. You could not tell there was ever any damage and the unit was back out operating before sun up.
  5. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Thanks for the replies I am having a guy come over tomorrow morning to look at it.

If he cant do it I will run it to ebling sons........thanks everyone
  6. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Doesn't look like a fabricated hitch, pretty standard for muni types.

Some piss poor welding done on it though, that one weld had 0 penetration.

I'll second the Ebling, he'll let you know if it's cheaper or easier to fix or replace.
  7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That's a pretty simple fix, like the guys have mentioned. Even if you could buy that peice new, a welder will be 1/4 the cost. How easy does your blade trip? We like to run our trip springs a little slacker then factory, that way it trips easier.
  8. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I believe there are 3 spring positions and ours in on the loosest so it trips easy.

I know when plowing it tends to trip pretty fast.

Thanks for all the replies, I have our mechanic working on it now. If he doesn't think he can get it back together I will have it at ebling tomorrow morning.
  9. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Thanks everyone , we ended up cutting out the entire damaged side and had it pressed strait then ligned it all up and welded it back on - works great.

Took about 8 hrs or so.
  10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Good, we ripped our 14 ft right of the tractor in December, stuff happens. That's why our shop has a big welder and alot of steel.