1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

12/9 first big snow in MI.. night from H3LL

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bigjeeping, Dec 11, 2005.

1. bigjeeping

bigjeeping Senior Member

Ann Arbor, got 6-8".... I was planning on getting my trucks on the road at 130AM
    Well --- The following events happened, and I almost jumped off a cliff.

My 2 shovelers call at 1AM and say they cant get out of their driveway
    I go pick them up (7 miles away)
    One of my tires rolls off the rim on my F-250 when I pull into their driveway
    That tire happened to be my spare
    I call everyone and everything I can find in the phone book, no body is open who can put the tire back on the rim.
    Me and the 2 shovelers walk 1.5 miles through the snowy woods to a junk yard (carrying a huge 40lb highjack with me)
    We search the entire yard (HUGE) for a compatible rim/tire combo.
    FINALLY find a 70's model F-150 which is crushed to pieces but has ONE good rim/tire
    We jack it up and get the rusty lugs off after about 20mins
    When jacking it down the jack handle slipped and hit me in the side of the head.. knocked me down, but thankfully still conscious.
    At this point the driver for my F-450 starts his route, without a shoveler.
    The 2 shovelers push the wheel back through the deep snow while I jog ahead of them with the 40lb jack in my hand........ 1.5 miles back to the truck!
    Then I drive it on the rim to them and we have to beat/kick this new wheel onto my truck......
    EVERYTHING IS GOLDEN, time to start the route!
    Well, we all drove back to meet up with my F-450, we're almost there and BAM this new tire rolls off the new rim, just like the last one!
    I was .5 mile from my house so I just drove slow back to my house.
    It was about 4am at this point
    I get one of the shovelers hooked-up with my 450 and they head out.
    I start calling every sub on my list and get a guy but he doesnt show up till 6am and he grabs the other shoveler and starts doing the route.
    My truck and me get towed to the shop and I sit there from 6-730 waiting for someone to show up.......
    Everything gets fixed and Im on the road by 10:30 in my truck. I call off the sub and pay him off $300!!
    Then my F-450 driver calls me and says he leaking plow fluid like crazy...... so Im back to one truck, and then the snowblower stopped working. and we finish the route.

Fixes: Plow just needed to tighten a nut where the fluid was leaking from, snowblower propeller was frozen, F-250 just got flat tires.

BTW, I wont name any names..... but the sub did a half ass job - he did 16 houses in 5.5 hours on a TIGHT ROUTE. And what really boggles me is that I got tons of calls from the customers saying he only plowed half the drive...... so I drove around and checked things out and sure enough.. SOME but not all, he only plowed like half the width of the drive (and there were driveway markers) AND ALL THE DRIVES WITH CIRCLE DRIVES HE ONLY PLOWED A SECTION TO THE GARAGE - NOT THE CIRCLE So needless to say Im pissed off that not only did this guy work slow, but he only did half the work.... so technically he worked twice as slow as originally thought. I plowed all of his houses again.

Total time out...... 1AM-5PM
  2. Dirt_Werx

Dirt_Werx Senior Member
    from MASS

sounds like quite the adventure and seems as though you handled it to the best of your abaility given the circumstances, hope you were able to complete evrything alright and didnt get any customers too ticked off.
  3. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

We all have days/nights like that, just hopefully not to often.