1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1117 ft of road

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JRSlawn, Sep 10, 2004.

1. JRSlawn

JRSlawn Senior Member

How uch do you guys get to plow like 1117ft of privatetwo lane road.

Please help

Jeff Smith
    JRS Lawn & Landscape

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I do private roads and Fire Roads. Based on $100 per mile for 3"=6" or $150 for anything to 12" (I use a one ton diesel; plenty of power for that kind of load). Then add for difficulty; such as hills and tight curves.

You're only talking about 1/4 mile so I'm guessing it's pretty straight and flat. If you're wanting any advise specific to plowing private roads, let me know.

3. Dwan

Dwan Senior Member

We get $125 per hour. .

4. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

You're only chargin $100 a mile for a two lane road?? My GOD, do you make any money?? You realize that's like the length of 200 driveways easily right?? At $20 or 25 a pop for driveways, you're missing out.. But, I can see a reduced cost cause it's all one run but WOW.... Only $100?? That's insane..

5. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Maybe the "two-lane" part means different things to us. Private roads here are generally 12' - 15' wide. Two cars or trucks can meet. Length really varies a lot, but one mile is fairly common. And, like you said, being one shot is the big advantage. With a 9' plow, which is 7 1/2' fully angled, it' one pass down and one back. Considering the distance here between houses (I have a couple of accounts several miles from the last one), I'd much rather have a mile road for $100 than three driveways at $35 each; especially since there is no backblading, turning around only once, etc. Just pull in, drop the blade and go. I usually have pushoff areas along the way, but that's simple enough too. Just push in, raise the plow, back out, drop the plow and continue.

Kloan - 200 driveways? That would only be 26.4' per drive. Ours are much bigger than that. A typical driveway for $35 would be around 75' feet long with an area at the end may 50'x50' in front of the house or garage.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2004
  6. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

I usually price roads around $150-200 per lane mile IE 1117' would be doubbled and rounded UP to the nearest 1/8th of a mile IE that would be over 3/8 of a mile so just round it up to ½mile and charge $75-$100 I can make3 pases and have 20' of road clear and make $75-$100 in 10-15 minutes

cant do 4 $25 driveways in 15 minutes here, too much backdragging and shoveling