1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

11 Pin to 13 Pin

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by lowcostlawns, Dec 5, 2009.

1. lowcostlawns

lowcostlawns Junior Member

I have a brand new 8 foot straight that I would like to use on my truck that has the 11 pin harness. I drilled the truck side harness so I could fit all the pins in the connector. Everything works fine except the head lights! The parking light work, just no headlights. This new plow has the new smart lights, the ones with the dual burn function. I understand the dual burn function will not work but I should still get some regular headlights. I get headlights when it is hooked up to a 13 pin?

Any Ideas?

2. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Your headlamps don't work because on the plow side 13 pin harness the headlamps have their own dedicated ground wire through the bumper plug to the truck harness for which your 11 pin truck side harness will not have. Best way to fix it is to use the 11-to-13 pin truck side conversion kit. This will not only get your lights working but the Smart Hitch feature as well.

Need Boss p/n MSC04758 and an hours time to connect it up.

Of course you'll still have no DB since you have no DB features in the old 11 pin truck side harness but everything else will be a-ok.

3. lowcostlawns

Wow, thanks man. I was looking at the pin set up and saw that there was an extra common ground in the 13 pin wiring harness. I will look into that conversion kit. I am getting a 13 pin harness nex week and was just kind of looking for a quick fix as it is going to snow tomorrow. Could I just run a special jumper wire into the 13 pin plow side plug and add the ground my self?

4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

You can add a ground jumper wire on the plow side and tie it into the white/yellow but you'll have to cut into the harness to do it. You can make the connection inside either of the light housings for better protection and then once you have the 13 pin installed go back in and repair the connection point correctly.

5. lowcostlawns

Alright I will just let this plow wait the storm out. I can put the oldie but goodie 8"6 on her!

I would rather not cut into my nice brand new harness on the new 8 footer.

Thanks soo much!

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Good choice, I wouldn't cut it either unless in an extreme emergency. :nod: