1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

11 pin to 13 pin

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by SCSLLC, May 26, 2009.

1. SCSLLC

SCSLLC Junior Member

Will an 11 pin set up run a 13 pin plow? What is the diffrence?

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

you cant run a 13 pin plow on a 11 pin truck ,but you can run a 11 pin plow on a 13 pin truck .

3. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Nope, wont work. The 13 pin has white/yellow wire for plow common ground and a white/black wire for the pump motor solenoid. You can however, run an 11 pin plow with a 13 pin truck side.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  4. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Never say never...

What year and model of truck is the 11 pin on? Depending on those answers it can be used with a 5 minute wiring mod.

5. SCSLLC

SCSLLC Junior Member

It is an 02 Chevy HD

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Well, there's two applications that can't be easily configured to work a 13 pin plow on an 11 pin truck without spending any money...and yours is one of them ('99-'02 GM). The other is '99-'02 Dodge. And its due to the positive common headlight system that those two applications use and is one of the reasons for the 13 pin in the first place.

If you drill two mating holes in the truck side 11 pin plug to allow room for the extra two pins on the plow side harness and manually attach and detach the plow; the plow WILL function. It's the Smart Hitch and the headlights you wont have. The Smart Hitch wire is easy to add but I can't say the same thing about making the head lights function since yours is a positive common system. It is do-able but the plow will become "married" to that specific truck with the necessary wiring mods to have proper headlight operation.

So its do-able, it just depends on how much you want to dig into the wiring. Otherwise just update the truck side to the current 13 pin. Cost on the Boss's is minimal in comparison to some of the other plow brands. You can swap to the 13 pin for approx $200 and will then be able to connect to and operate any RT3 Boss out there.

It's all in what you want to do.

7. SCSLLC

SCSLLC Junior Member

Thanks thats what I needed to know. In the process of upgrading and wanted to know exactly what I was looking at. Thanks again.

8. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

SCSLLC What company are you? I am from Holland too. How might I know you?

9. SCSLLC

SCSLLC Junior Member

Strabbing Concrete Services,you came and looked at my straight blade in Zeeland last year. Forgot my old password so I changed user names.

10. RBRONKEMA GHTFD

RBRONKEMA GHTFD 2000 Club Member

Oh okay gotcha.