1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

'11 Duramax DEF issues?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by PLM-1, Feb 4, 2011.

1. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Anyone getting the low DEF message? I've got 1400 miles on mine and it came on yesterday so I added 1 gallon as that was the minimum it said to put in according to the manual. I thought it reset, but apparently not because plowing a lot today it came on and said 300 miles. By the time I got finished with the lot I was down to 190.

How are you cold climate guys handling this issue?

2. Walkermowers1

Walkermowers1 Junior Member
    from Wall NJ

sounds a like a computer error code issue. go to back to your dealer they fix that for you free of charge

3. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

The dealer just said I needed to "thaw" the truck out in the garage. It's going to a different dealer tomorrow the next town over. It's a known problem but wasn't sure how others were dealing with it.

4. Walkermowers1

Walkermowers1 Junior Member
    from Wall NJ

where are you located you need to shaw your truck out when you plow?
    i definitely get other options.

5. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

That's my point! I'm in SW Missouri. I missed the major part of our storm because a coolant line fitting was miss-molded from the factory. So far this truck has cost me nearly $30k in lost revenue.

6. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

There's a new calibration in the works to fix this. You aren't the only one... The best thing you can do it NOT overfill the tank. The tank heater works better with less fluid in the tank also.

7. woodchuck2

woodchuck2 Senior Member

Ford is having issues with their trucks freezing up too, apparently from what i was told theirs go into a limp mode too so they cannot be driven. Gotta love that Urea injection!!

8. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

www.dieselplace.com has been discussing this issue at length. Great site if you own a Dmax.

9. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Been on it for years. I was just seeing how actual plow guys in colder climates where dealing with this issue and to see if there was any different info out there.

10. dieseld

dieseld Senior Member
    from 90210

10-4. Good luck.

11. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

friend just got 2011 dmax.

drives to work and home in 1500 miles. highway driving. he has used over 1 - 1.5 jugs of the liquid crap sofar.

and 9.8mpg best sofar. he is frigin pissed. :realmad:

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  12. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

Wow, I get better than that towing my 10k pound trailer at 70mph.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I gotta get me one of these.....

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Hmm My LML gets around 16 driving around mixed and pretty close to 20 on the highway driving it fairly hard. The mileage is a big improvement over our LMM's.

15. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

The issues with the system will get worked out. It's a new technology on a redisigned vehicle. There are always kinks to work out on a new model.

16. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I want to know how you make 30k in one truck during 1 storm:D

17. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

he would like to see that. stoped atthe house today with 1811 miles on it. and fuel is 9.80 per gal from dash info so far.

also said exaust brake only seems to work 1/2 the time if you can even feel it when it works.

the bumper warning system to keep you from hitting stuff on the rear of the truck dont even work right.

and it was over full on coolent when he picked it up from the lot and since then has peed out a few times. but hasnt had to add any.

factory winter front cover tabs broke clean off when he went to install it the otherday. even had it in the house warmed up and took it right out and snap.

and the rear bowtie emblem after 600 miles has gone to crap. moisture behind the clear amber and all discolored behind there.

his old 06 was 2x better on mileage and not nearly the problems of the new truck.

said thay charge me almost 60k for this 2011 pile hell with that for the quality so far.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  18. PLM-1

PLM-1 Senior Member

A 4 day storm. With a total snowfall of 22" and 2" of ice.

19. Grantrs

Grantrs Junior Member

11 Duramax DEF issues

I have a 2011 Silverado Duramax LTZ with a new Wide out on it and have issues with both. The truck is in the shop for the 4th time with the same issues everyone else is having but each time it goes in they say they have it figured out this time. This time the DIC said "Service Diesel Exhaust Fluid System" and "See Owners Manual Now". I was plowing when these alerts started so I took it back to the shop and got my back up plow. The next day the truck would not start so I had to have it towed to the Chevy garage. Road Side Assistance has some issues that need addressed as well. At the same time these alerts came on the Western Wide Out quit, the plow control module died. I don't think these two are related but i'm not sure. I have been running the same equipment for the past 20 years, it's old but well taken care. I wanted to have a trouble free year this year but that has not been the case!

20. Grantrs

Grantrs Junior Member

The Chevy garage has said that they have not had any returns with these trucks after they reflashed the computer. Am I the only one that has had this issue 4 times?