1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

11 acres wide open - best plow

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by MatthewG, Aug 7, 2012.

1. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I will leave the plow specific brand out of this so it doesn't get moved.

I have 11 acres mostly all open flat industrial lots, long runs.

What is the better plow for moving snow, the 8-10 ft expandable wing or a 9.5 V??

I never ever used "V" on my 8.5 SSXV only scoop

I was dead set on the 8-10, but suddenly I'm starting to second guess myself as a few people mentioned the rubber edges on the wings don't scrape well.

I found a new XLS and I need to let the guy know

Thanks Thumbs Up
  2. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I know this is not much help, but I also have an 11 acre lot that we manage. We use a combination of a 8'6" with pro wings and a 8'2" with pro wings. Both move a ton of snow.

Sorry I am not more help, but thats all I have.
  3. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I wouldnt want to do 11 ac with a plow... loader only here...

to answer your question though..... I'm giving up my xv's for the xls's..... MUCH better at windrowing and scooping.... check out their website
  4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I have a feeling it's not 1 lot but a few.

Hands down an 810. I have both and it is much faster in wide open areas. The Blizzard plow has steel on the wing edges. On my Western MVP Plus I run Western wings and it is fast windrowing but you need to take the wing off the trailing edge to make it more efficient.
  5. MatthewG

2 lots and I have a 10' Pro tech

I'm dropping one truck so I'm looking for maximum efficiency

I know the blizzard has steel wing edges, I'm looking into poly edges for the XLS
  6. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

r the lots close to each other?
  7. MatthewG

Across the street from each other
  8. Triton Snow Professionals

Triton Snow Professionals Banned
    from McHenry

I Agree. Blizzard 810
  9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

If theyre across the street from each other like you state why not buy a loader for 30K or so and a 5K protech (or sectional if they are seasonal sites).....your wanting max effc and this would do the trick (dont forget you get to depreciate the loader and pusher on your taxes..another plus)
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

Go go gadget ebling.
  11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

The rubber edges aren't that bad. The leading edge is running where you have already plowed and the trailing edge is running where you are going to overlap with your next pass. It's not like the rubber is doing the main scraping.
  12. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

A loader would be ideal and a truck with an xls to run curbs and clean up. I have jerres edges on mine and they are going on their 3rd season and will make it through this season for sure with them.
  13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Last season didnt count!......:laughing:
  14. Glenn Lawn Care

Glenn Lawn Care Senior Member

Western Wideout.
  15. bugthug

bugthug Senior Member
    from Pa

wideout with edges from Jerre.
  16. peteo1

peteo1 PlowSite.com Addict

Loader and a 16' box + a pickup with any plow would do the trick if its all wide open. Personally I've always liked a vee but I've never used an xls.
  17. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

Loader with box, tractor with a box or backhoe with box and save your truck for small stuff.
  18. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

19. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure if anyone really reads posts anymore, but he said he was dropping a truck. Pretty sure that means he isn't adding a loader. It wasn't part of the question, either.

XLS or the Blizzard. Looking at the new Blizzards, I'd go the XLS route, even if the wing edges are expensive. The moldboard of the Blizzard is even more expensive.
  20. MatthewG

Thanks for answering my question.

No im not adding anything I have 2 skidsteers both with 10' pushers. After last year I don't have money for a loader

I had 3 trucks and Im dropping one, I wasn't sure if I should go 9.5 V or go XLS. In case anyone wants to know what I'm saving... well its huge. Insurance, fuel, labor, cost of the truck (it was paid for and already sold) might be around $8,000

I have decided and just purchased an XLS, looking forward to a better year for all of us :salute: