1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

11.5 hours of plowing.MY KNEE IS STUCK?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by cc2004, Dec 27, 2004.

1. cc2004

cc2004 Member

Everything thing got done.Equipment ran fine.The only thing that i'm having a problem with is my knee,it's like it's stuck.

It must be from being in the same position for so long.Came home took a knap(i thought it would be gone) and it STILL DOES NOT WANT TO MOVE.

Am i the only one with plowing pains?
  2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Ive been plowing since yesterday morning until now, iam heading back out soon. The only probelm for me is after about 4 hours my back hurts, as long as i move around and stay alert, i usually feel great. Iam always moving around in the seat to get a better view and going between the plow controller, shifter, T-case leaver, etc. As long as iam moving, its worse for me to drive on the highway for extended periods of time because its all the same.
  3. jhook

jhook Senior Member

Ya, I get pains all right. Usually my right leg. Don't move it much, just move my ankle to drive. The other leg I move a bit now and then. 11 hours wouldn't do it to me but my average shifts are about 18 hours and I been out about every second day for the last month. Depends what you are used to. My right hip is really sore for about 5 days now. Another month or so and my knee will get real stiff. It will stay like that until about June sometime. Done that for about 2 years now. Would like to blame it on old age but I just turned 29 so I guess that is out :p
  4. frankmachine

frankmachine Junior Member

re : knee

I hear you ,,,i was plowing last night ....my left calf was cramped all night,,,, guess its par for the course.... hope the knee is feeling better.
  5. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

Grab one of those ICEYHOT kneepads maybe that will work..you guys play safe out there... payup payup payup
  6. Iowa

Iowa Senior Member
    from Iowa

I'd rather have pains and make money than have no snow (no snow here) :angry:
  7. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

Wear a neoprene knee brace for long nights, works like a charm. Should be around $10 at a drug store.
  8. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

My first plow truck was a 1974 ford F100 with a 7'6" western plow.The truck had broken power steering(the power assist rams were shot) and they were 200.00 used.With a wife and a couple kids,I couldn't justify the expense to fix them...To make a long story short I plowed driveways all winter with broken power steering.That was a long winter! I upgraded to a 76 3/4 ton with a 4 speed.I remember plowing for 12 hours straight,going home,opening the door to get out of the truck and falling flat on my face(the clutch leg just wouldn't work).I look back on it now and always get a good chuckle..Happy plowing everyone!!

1993 K3500 6.5 TD,810 Blizzard,Timbrens
    1989 K2500 350/4spd,8'Fisher,Timbrens,Buyers Spreader
    1999 Polaris 500 Magnum,60"plow,100#spreader
  9. Robhollar

Robhollar Senior Member

The only pain I have is in my left cheek from sittin on the pile of money that ive made on this last storm.....Rob
  10. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

not able to PM you? where did you find enough snow to plow 11.5 hours? You must have a whopper of a commercial account, because my residential I have only done twice(and that was pushing it) Thank god for commercials with 2" triggers and salting.
  11. martyman

martyman Senior Member

It's funny someone posted this. After the last storm, the next day my leg was numb and felt cold and the bottom of my right foot felt wet all day...It went away the next day...I guess from pushing the gas and brake :dizzy:
  12. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

I got a Stat for you: 98% of the population has Arthritis in their knees by the age of 24. No wonder we limp along after the storm! My whole right side feels like it's 90 years old after some bouts of plowing. Pedals with the leg,steering with the arm and turning to look at the mirror with the neck. All the left does is operate switch's and reach for the 20 0z coffee cup.
  13. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Same here. After last storm right leg lower was all cramped up. Got out of truck and wobbled when I stood. I used to call it getting your sea legs, now I call it getting your snow legs.
  14. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

leg gone numb

I found that if you wear a wallet while plowing it really kills you, so I put mine in the glove box now and that helps. Also there are these hard plastic seats that you can put down on top of your seat that helps.
  15. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

You are correct. Never carry a wallet in your ass pocket. It's a killer on the hip and will cause back problems especially if it's full of money. :rolleyes:
  16. roidman81

roidman81 Member
    from nj

Since when did we forget the dictionary definition of snow plowing.. its BLOOD MONEY!!
  17. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

i jumped outta the truck and landed on my ankle wrong = fracture and torn tendion.. beat that..... lol

oh well...
  18. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

My right knee kills after a long storm. I carry a towel that I fold up and put under my knee after a few hours out. I also carry tums, motrin and hot mints to get through the night. I never carry my wallet. Cash in my left pocket and everything else in the console.
  19. cc2004

cc2004 Member

Grn Mtn,
    The reason we we're out so long was because of the commercial accounts.
    I'll work on this PM thing.:confused:
  20. DaveOhio

DaveOhio Member

Maybe get off your azz and shovel odd sidewalk?