1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10v at motor? is this right

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by FordF350Diesel, Dec 2, 2009.

1. FordF350Diesel

FordF350Diesel Junior Member
    from Ill

runs slow and checked the power i have 12v at the battery and 12v at the sleiond. then put a volt meter on the motor and when i run it i only get 10v at the motor. i would think that there should be 12v at the motor so could the sleoiod be bad or have burn marks so its not tranfering all the power? also check and load checkd the batterys and there fine and cleaned the wires to the plow

2. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Hello. Bypass the soleniod with battery boost cable. Go from the battery , right to the plow motor terminal. If it runs faster( it should ) then your problem is the supply to the motor , not the motor itself

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some voltage drop between the battery and motor is normal with the stock cables and connectors but 10V is a bit low. Can be caused by a weak solenoid, a poor connection on either end of the power or ground cables or at the grill plug itself. Need to look it over closely for possible causes.

4. FordF350Diesel

FordF350Diesel Junior Member
    from Ill

alrite cool yeah i just replaced the motor so i dont believe thats the prob and the cables looked ok

5. tom.807

tom.807 Junior Member

Resitance high ???

tymusicEVEN IF THE PLOW CABLES LOOK GOOD DOESNT MEAN THEY ARE GOOD. THEY ARE SUJECT TO A GOOD CURRENT FLOW AND OVER TIME BREAK DOWN INTERNALY CAUSING EXSESSIVE RESISTANCE TO ELECTRCAL JUICE. I DONT KNOW OFF HAND WHAT THE OHM READING IS ON A NEW CABLE BUT DISCONNECT BOTH ENDS TAKE A READING AND COMPARE TO A KNOWN GOOD ONE. THE OTHER THREADS TOLD YOU WHAT ELSE TO CHECK SO IF CABLE AND CONNECTIONS PASS CHANGE THE SOLINOID. OH BY THE WAY THERE IS PROBABLY A RESITANCE CHECK FOR THAT ALSO. GOOD LUCK

6. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

I was just reading, fluid warm, the amps draw at the motor should be 11.2

Have you check the grounds? A possibility could be the frame loses ground. The car manufacture ground the battery neg cable to the engine motor. Try running a ground from the engine motor to the frame of the vehicle.

I don't know if your battery is seal. If not, you might want to take a test in each cavity. You might have a weak or dead cell in your battery. using a volt meter will tell you.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2009
  7. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The neg plow cable shouldn't even be attached to the vehicles frame. If it is, move it to the neg battery terminal where it should be. :salute:

8. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

You can use your volt meter to determine where the drop is occurring. First, make sure your plow wires are connected directly to the battery, both positive and ground. Measure the voltage at the battery with the plow running, and at the pump with the plow running. If they are different, you have a bad cable(s), grill plug(s), and/or solenoid.

Here's how to find it. Using your voltmeter, put one probe on the ground terminal of the battery, and one on the ground terminal of the motor. Have someone operate the plow, and take your reading. Do the same for the positive side. I'm guessing the positive side will have a higher voltage drop. There are two extra connections, and the solenoid. You can measure the drop across each of the positive cables and the solenoid itself.

The voltage at the motor, plus the voltage drop across the ground cable, plus the voltage drop across the positive cable should add up to the voltage at the battery. Remember, all these readings need to be taken with the plow motor running.

9. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

B&B
    Never said the (neg) plow cable should be hook to the frame. I was saying, If the neg from the battery is attach to the engine for ground, then run attach another ground cable from the engine to the frame of the vehicle.

To me it seems if he already change the plow motor, and check the solenoid and determined the solenoid is not weak or defected, the cable to the plow has no cracks and positive is not grounding out behind the grill, then there must be a ground problem somewhere.

10. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Either way it should be on the neg side of the battery, not just a simple ground

Disregerd, I just re-read the above post ;)

11. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Why? In this case it won't help the issue one bit. If the plow neg is attached to the battery as it should be adding another ground between the engine and frame is of no help what so ever. Because you're not asking for ground through the frame.

If it's asking for ground through the frame then somethings wrong.