1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10ft western tripping constantly

Discussion in 'Truck & Equipment Repair' started by 02powerstroke, Jan 28, 2015.

1. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 10ft western heavy weight and it seems to fold down constantly which is becoming dangerous because it sends me into on coming traffic when it does this. I adjusted the bolts all the way in that put tension on the springs and it seemed to help a little but it still does it. Should I try new springs or is this the nature of a full trip blade? It trips if I so much as hit a small (smaller than knee high) windrow from someone crossing the road. plus when I came back to our shop i started plowing the dirt road in and its not even digging in on the dirt and it trips.... any ideas

2. xgiovannix12

xgiovannix12 PlowSite.com Addict

Replace springs

3. 02powerstroke

ok I will order new ones tomorrow. I bought the plow used to i have no idea how old they are. Any idea if they are the same springs and a normal pro plow they look the same dimension wise.

4. xgiovannix12

I think they use the same size but not sure it they are

5. 02powerstroke

anyone know how much tension I'm suppose to set them at?

6. xgiovannix12

enough to fit a business card between the groves

7. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

They say a business card or something that just fits in between the coils on the spring. But its more of a preference