1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10ft Box/Snow pusher too much for a smaller skid steer?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by JD Hernandez, Nov 2, 2013.

1. JD Hernandez

JD Hernandez Junior Member

I have a New Holland L555 ( Smaller type Skid steer : Bobcats,cat,johndeere)
    its 45hp Diesel

Can I put a 10ft pusher on it?

Any advice?

Thanks.

20131021_151035.jpg

2. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

No..........

Look for a 8 ft and good snow tires

3. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

That machine would handle a 10' if your just moving it around. Being that the machine is only about 5,000lbs and with very poor tires it will struggle to push an 8' box very far. It will also be rather slow going no matter what you have on the front of it.

4. JD Hernandez

May I ask why?

5. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

What are you curious about?

Edit, and in your sig your 2011 is either a 6.2 (Gas) or a 6.7 (Diesel). The 6.4 (Diesel) was 2008-2010.

6. 1olddogtwo

Weight, traction and then power in that order. that machine is lacking.

7. JD Hernandez

Is the weight the issue or is it the speed the problem?

8. JD Hernandez

Thank you for all the input.

9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Yes.

Momentum (ie. speed) helps keep things moving.

Figure the truck in your sig is 7,000 pounds or more pushing an 8' straight blade at 10-15mph across a lot. The truck knows it's working but it does fine. The 8' straight blade isn't really pushing as much snow forwards as it is pushing the snow sideways.

Now take the skid steer that is 2,000lbs lighter pushing a "plow" that is 2' wider then the truck blade and with the side plates is actually holding the snow and pushing it all in front of you. There isn't much snow rolling action going on to help your keep momentum. So your already lacking weight and pushing a plow that holds 2-4x the amount of snow as the truck blade and now your doing it at 4-5 mph. Your skid steer just has to much working against it in that situation to be productive in any way.

10. 1olddogtwo

Very well put Mark.

11. shaunnshelly

shaunnshelly Senior Member

We push a 10' skid steer model Pro-tech with a 5500lb Tool Cat. No problem. We also plow with the storm and try not to allow more than 4" accumulation.

12. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Say I might be able plow with a 10ft with my 68hp new skid but I was testing the water since this first full time plow skid So I bought a pro tech Sno-blade 7'6 with manual wings Its a 7.6 box or a 8'11'' wing plow or 9.6 straight plow.

I'll run it this year and see for my self what my Skid can handle

13. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

Are you doing long runs or short runs?
    Do you get more wet snow or dry snow?
    Can you stay on top of heavy storms (plowing no more than 4 inches or so)?
    As mentioned earlier, a good set of tires goes a long way as well...

These are all questions you need to ask yourself...

IMO an 8 foot box would be the limit in most conditions

14. rob_cook2001

rob_cook2001 2000 Club Member

No way would I try more than an 8ft box on that skid!! I run a 10 foot box on my s650 which is around 75 hp and over 8000lbs with new tires and there are times she struggles for traction. Get an 8ft plow for it or a set of snow tires and a 8ft box.

15. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I kinda figured a 10'er would even be too big for my Lx885, which is a considerably bigger machine than the L555. I was looking at 9'ers. Even an 8' might be too much for it to handle in a heavy storm, especially if it starts to get away on you. I think I'd be looking at a blade with wings on that machine...

16. JD Hernandez

Thank you for all the advice and suggestions.

I will go with an 8ft and yes also get some new tires for sure.

Thanks again everyone,

Let it snow.

17. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Would a rubber tracked machine, say 10k lbs and 100 hp, be more able to move a larger pusher?

18. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

Depends on which tracks are on it.Polar tracks ,yes. HP doesn't help if your spinning out, unless it's a burn out competition!

19. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

The tracks do not grip better than tires? Unless using specialized?

20. Team_Arctic

Team_Arctic Senior Member

no not normally, it depends on the tread pattern, and weight of the machine. I have found that the Bar lug style, common on the older cat machines work alright stock, most others need an aftermarket snow track to grip