1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10Footer in a 8ft bed: Can you do it?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Snow2Go, Jan 11, 2009.

1. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

Its only 2 feet, so it cant be that bad, can it be done?>

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I wouldn't do it but that's me.

3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i wouldn't do it either but if i had to i wouldn't use the tailgate as a support. i would fab a "tray" that could slide into the reciever and extend back and up to support the back of the salter and extend forward to rest in the bed for guaranteed support

4. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Sure , fully loaded you will be looking at the sky. Also be putting a hurting from the ball joints to the driveshaft and everything in between.

Im guessing you atleast have a duelly.:dizzy:

5. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

better put it on a big boy truck. way too much weight for a 1 ton.

6. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

no way i have a 08 550 19 k gvwr it has a hooklift on it my 8 ft salter ion a flatbed heaping full of dry salt weighs in at 18900 i wold not do it buy a smaller salter or a bigger truck

7. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

Need more info. If you were thinking of a pickup noway if you were using a med. duty I might do it that is alot of weight behind the axle when loaded. Think about it a 10' vbox is probably 1500lbs empty.

8. tom5301

tom5301 Member

What kind of 10 footer is it Iam looking for on I have a stainless 8 footer

9. Snow2Go

Snow2Go Senior Member
    from Chi

I have a F350 SRW but now the way you guys are talking it makes sense! What would I do with out my fellows on here!

10. MSS Mow

MSS Mow Senior Member
    from Maine

absolutely not with a SRW F350!! You would be facing the sky.

11. Turbodiesel

Turbodiesel Senior Member

Just dont fully load it , if that makes any sense.

12. MrBillsLawn

MrBillsLawn Member

i have a 95 f-350 with a 8' dump body. I folded the tailgate down and put in a 10' western v box. it works just fine. the truck is a two wheel drive so i need the weight for traction. as long as you slow down around corners youll be just fine. if you dont break it, you dont know you limits. oh yeah, you kind of get funny looks when you go down the road.

13. MAR4CARS

MAR4CARS Senior Member

Hope the truck is a M/T so u can pop the clutch to get it to take corners ...

14. timmy1

timmy1 Senior Member
    from RI

If it's a SRW, make sure you have Load Range E or F tires! With a set of C or D You'll have a blowout for sure with that weight.

15. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

How do you steer that teeter totter:dizzy:

16. BigJohnsonPlow

BigJohnsonPlow Junior Member

One thing that hasn't been said yet is that as your v box unloads it takes material from the front to the back. In other words, even if you only load half a load, when half of that is gone, the other half is going to be in a pile in the back end of the box. The front of the sander better be bolted to the truck frame.