1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

105 Amp Generator enough?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by Zrxpilot, Dec 3, 2013.

1. Zrxpilot

Zrxpilot Member

I noticed my amp gauge drops down quite a bit when I operate the plow. Truck has a stock 105amp generator. Will this be enough?

No big lights, no sander, no commercial work.

2. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

It should be fine, gauge drop is normal. If you never drive the truck on the road (dedicated yard/plow truck), be conscious of charging the battery after plowing if it seems to start hard next time you go to plow. I used to do this with my yard truck.

If you are getting bad dimming of lights in addition to gauge drop do some research about upgrading wiring and possibly battery before worrying about the alt.

3. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

Should work - I used to plow with a 77 Dodge with 65 amp on it. Just let it run for some time before I would shut it off. Although I do have to say I like my 200 amp better.

4. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

What year tk?

5. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

His sig says 05 2500hd. You should be fine. Every single one of my trucks except for the 04 doesn't have plow prep and is still on its original alt. I have to say though, the 145 amp still isn't that much better than the 105s.

6. Zrxpilot

Zrxpilot Member

Good. One less thing to worry about. Thanks guys.

7. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I plowed for two years on the 105 amp. But it went out last year during a storm. I upgraded at that point to the 145amp. Needed a longer serpentine belt also. When it goes out, make the upgrade. If the plow is dimming out lights, etc. it is shortening the life of the alternator.

8. 2006Sierra1500

2006Sierra1500 PlowSite.com Addict

Even my 145 amp dims the lights running a Fisher straight blade.

9. JCByrd24

JCByrd24 Senior Member
    from Maine

My understanding is there is just no avoiding dimming/low voltage with the computer controlled charging. Dual batteries would help but no guarantees. I read on here someone did a mod to defeat the computer and charge more traditionally can't remember what it involved though.

10. Subicbay

Subicbay Junior Member

I have a 110 amp alt on my 2001 f450 7.3 diesel. I have had issues after a longer plow, 12+ hours, with draining the batteries.

Just had my alt tested. Its only putting out 80 amps @ 2500 rpm. So... $200 for new 110 amp or $369.00 mean green alt from extreme diesel. I ordered the 220 amp , I will keep ya posted.