1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1003 ford f150 shortbed hard shifting into 4x4

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by daveintoledo, Dec 21, 2007.

1. daveintoledo

daveintoledo Senior Member
    from nw ohio

ints the stick on the floor, getting difficult to shift back and forth, what maintenance or repairs should i make.....

2. daveintoledo

from nw ohio

thats 1993, sorry...

anyone, i have little experience with 4x4, should i change the gear oil or what.....

3. Hard Shifting

From what I understand, the linkage rusts up under the floor of the truck. Get under there and flood it with penetrating oil.

RON

4. daveintoledo

from nw ohio

thanks..

ill give it a try .....

5. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

You might even have to take it off and clean it up. Some of the shifters may have rubber bushings and the steel shaft rusts inside. If the oil does not help try backing off the mounting bolt and then spray it good and move it in and out of gear. Your transfer case should take ATF for fluid.About a quart and 1/2. There is a drain plug and a fill plug on the back side of it. Make sure you clean all the gunk and dirt out of the plugs before you even try to take them out.