1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

1000 tailgate spreader control box

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by Snaaar, Dec 15, 2006.

1. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

We had to replace a control box for this spreader twice last year. Basically they just died. Fisher reimbursed us for one of them because they said there were widespread problems w/ one of the components.

I've turned the box on many times in the off-season, as it's still hooked up in the truck. We hooked up the spreader itself today, and I turned on the controller. It lit up but the spinner did not move. Then the controller's lights went off, and now it won't come back on. I tested the power coming into the controller (1.62 volts). There's also 1.62 coming out of it, but it doesn't light and doesn't affect the motor in the spreader.

Does 1.62 volts sound right? The voltage changes from 12.30 to 1.62 after the 30 amp fuse.

This only adds to my headache, because I just had a plow controller AND another salter controller die within a few days (and it hasn't snowed yet!)
  2. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Our meyer's controller went bad as well 2 seasons ago, This year we had to rebuild the spinner motor due to corrosion inside binding everything up. Check the motor to see if its spins free, not just ok but spins and keeps spinning with one little push. I asked the guy who rebuilt the motor if that could fry the controller if its binding up and he said for sure it would.
  3. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

The motor rotates fine. Yesterday I replaced the lower bearing and greased the upper bearing, aligned the two belt pulleys, and everything spins well.

This controller supposedly will flash codes when something is wrong, but no lights come on whatsoever.

Its especially frustrating because I just took apart those other controllers I mentioned, and I ordered a very small relay for one, and a rocker switch for another, and its anybody's guess if I can repair them or not. Between bad luck and questionable electrical skills, things can get very expensive for me in a hurry.

This controller is about a year old. I would hope that it is covered by a two year commercial warranty, like my Fisher plows.
  4. Snaaar

Snaaar Member

No, apparently service parts and components are covered for a year only. I can't find the proper paperwork right now, but the controller is probably a few weeks past warranty. That's how it usually works, right? Somebody please put a bullet in my head.