1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

$1000 per tonn

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Oasis, Feb 2, 2009.

1. Oasis

Oasis Senior Member

Maybe all these people who are looking at buying spreaders this year should hold off because we may be paying $1000/ton if this gets much worse.

I've allready told a few customers that if this shortage continues to get worse and salt is MIA they will either have to select a new product at a higher price, resort to salt or I will be envoking my salt shortage clause in my contracts where I will no longer be able to gaurantee salt services. (got smarter this year after last years shortage . . . )

At least table salt doesnt jam up your tailgaite spreaders and you dont need an auger ... :D

windsor_salt_canadian_design.jpg

2. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

$1000 a ton???? Don't know where you heard that but I would sure be checking someplace else.

3. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

ya really, i mean i can get product from canada if i wanted to for 150.00 / ton (pick up price), now thats more than i want to pay but at least i can get it if i had to.

4. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

I'll sell you all you want for $950.00 ton! :rolleyes:

5. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

Hey Oasis, we're running a special on salt $949.99 a ton delivered.

6. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

Lowballer!! :D

7. redman6565

$849.99 special

8. lawnprolawns

lawnprolawns Senior Member

I'll do 500 delivered.

9. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

My true identity is revealed. Although i'm not sure its lowballing if you are going to make obscene profit on it.

10. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

Theyre having fun with ya now. However its incredible the overuse of salt anyway on park lots,

11. redman6565

What do you mean overuse?

12. procut

procut Senior Member

Over applying / putting down too much. When you drive by a lot a few days later and the black pavement is white from all the salt.

13. procut

procut Senior Member

One more thought...

When I first found out about the drastic price increase of salt, I figured you would see a major decrease in salt useage. However, other than one local contractor who appears to be quite stingy with the salt, it appears most lots in my area are being salted just the same as always.

14. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Does that automatically mean salt was overapplied?

15. augerandblade

I see guys in this area hitting the parking lots with salt when there is 2 inches of snow on the lot. We plow it off at that accumulation: Salt should be used to control ice ', however after we do our walks and its snowing we will salt the walkways heavy during a snowstorm so we dont have ta shovel or plow it off. So ya okay Im the kettle calling the pot black.:D

16. dfdsuperduty

dfdsuperduty Senior Member

I have 2 contracts that want salt after each push no matter if it is continuing to snow or not they pay usually 3-4 days ahead of when their bill is due 15 day net and they are happy.... hey if they are willing to pay I will put down an inch of salt across the whole pavement if they want.... and before anyone says anything I did speak to the grounds manager and he said that is what they want no matter what

17. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

And that is the way it should be done IMO

18. augerandblade

There you go, it whatever is par for the course in any given area. Areas that are used to a lot of snow during the winter season ,possibly would not pepper their lots with salt after every snowfall. I also realize thats its a liability issue. It would be interesting to get a few more posts on salting procedures throughout Canada and the U Sussmileyflagtymusic:)

19. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

no salt shortage all ********, tons of salt in the mines. just can't move it. i think it's all a conspiracy to screw the little man.

20. carl b

carl b PlowSite.com Addict
    from Ohio

yep , theirs a mine in town . they have been working all year for 30-40 years