1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

100% Brand new at this - H.E.L.P

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Grass_n_Trees, Sep 16, 2008.

1. Grass_n_Trees

Grass_n_Trees Junior Member

Hi folks, Dean here from Ontario, Canada.

I just started out in the lawn cutting business this year and am looking for a few pointers. I just picked up a snow blower and have to get some quotes out.

I've got it down pretty good for basic drives but I've got to tricky ones here and need your expert opinions.

Any and all help is much appreciated!

Attached are 2 images for both areas in question. The 1st picture is a gravel lane with a grass hump all the way up the middle, cust hired a guy with a truck plow and he destroyed it..

Many thanks, once I get a few pointers I'll have more of a feel and should be ok

fs.jpg

ip.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  2. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

If you dont damage the drive with the plow, he'll be bitching about the gravel on the grass in the spring. Run, dont walk away form this one.JMO. BTW-is that blower on a tractor?

3. Grass_n_Trees

More....

No The blower is on the ground, in front of my two feet. at least for now.

last year they ended up with having to walk 60 feet to the front door and unable to use the 3 car garage. high end folks so I'm thinking that if i name my price they'll go for it, all things considered... since it's going to be a bugger to do, I would spend more time as per the reflection of price.

Should i put my shoes on and run ?

p.s. they won't *****, worked for them all summer, wicked laid back folks... so gravel on grass is an easy rake in spring plus it's packed down nice right now.

Attached is a new picture of it

lane.jpg

Last edited: Sep 16, 2008
  4. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

I take it they like the grass in the middle? Around here we would grade that to remove it and fill it with gravel.

Do you have a plow truck yet? What kind of tractor, skid steer, dingo stuff do you have for the lawn work? Would anything take a smaller blade or blower?

I would price it high enough so if you got it, you would be very happy. Moving stones back in the spring or replacing sod could make the winter work look easy.

If I was going to do it with a truck, I would angle off to the right and drive in with the left of the blade on the left of the grass in the middle and the right of the blade on the yard. do the same comeing back. This would save the grass, but leave snow/ice on the gravel pathways.

Good Luck

5. Grass_n_Trees

more.......

A truck but no plow yet, still shopping.

it's going to be a walk behind snowblower or bust, it's obviously not going to be perfect but they'll get into the garage....

6. QuadPlower

QuadPlower PlowSite.com Addict

That is 4 passes with a 30" blower on gravel walking 140'. Good Luck. Blower will put more stones further in the yard than a plow and it makes a heck of a noise when it does it.

7. Grass_n_Trees

more.....

No kidding huh....... so lets just say I was going to suck it up and try to get it done, which i know I can.... If i really didn't want it and it's going to be nasty to do, what do you think per visit I could charge for it ?

the top area is about 6 parking spaces on top of the 140 feet length

8. Grass_n_Trees

anyone ?

does anyone have any input on the 80 x 140 plus driveway width site for me ??

9. daplowman

daplowman Member

My Vote

Put your running shoes on!!!!

PS don't look back prsport

10. hydro_37

hydro_37 PlowSite Veteran
    from iowa

If you do decide to do it. I hope you dont mind being out in the cold for a LONG time. I wouldn't PLOW it for less then $50

11. Lifted4x4Astro

Lifted4x4Astro Senior Member

How many hours do you figure it'll take? I would say at least 6 with a walk behind blower. I have never run a blower so I don't know. Then you figure what you want to make per hour. $20, $30, $40 etc. I wouldn't do it for under $150, but I am getting lazier in my old age (37)! :D That is why I got a 8.5' V plow for my 100' of driveway.

12. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Chances are the reason the guy tore it up was he didn't have "shoes" on his plow or they weren't adjusted for the gravel. You could also try a urathane edge, they tend not to dig. As was said before the blower will make a HUGE mess, better figure in a power broom into the cost of cleanup in the spring, youll need it for the gravel.

13. blazylscaping

blazylscaping Junior Member

dont run away from work man. explain to these people that they dont have the ideal drive to plow, im sure theyre not blind. snow blowing it is ridiculous, its not worth your time or their money to pay you what you need an hour. if you have someone else plow it tell them to NOT to put their blade in float. put it down and lift it slightly above the grass, your basically ganna leave a couple inches of well packed snow and the more events you have the easier its gonna be to plow. i plow a handfull of gravel driveways and thats how i do it people always get it. snow shoes are awesome if all your doin is gravel but if your doin concrete drives before you get there you gatta get your ass out, get dirty, get cold and adjust them to the right height. and if your gonna have someone else plow it tell the people that so you dont give them the wrong idea and sub it out, let the customer pay you and you pay the person plowing it. make a couple bucks every time it snows and not even work but dont put in your shoes and run, your not gonna make money that way you gatta take the good with the bad

14. tom_mccauley

tom_mccauley Senior Member

I would start up the old "chevrolegs" and RUN right the hell out of poo town!!!!!!:jester::eek::gunsfiring:

15. Grass_n_Trees

Thanks

Food for thought, I've lots to think about now, cheers folks.!

16. fastlx

fastlx Junior Member

About 15 yrs ago I bought a honda track drive blower. It could be adjusted with a foot pedal to lift the cutting edge about a inch of the ground. Great for gravel driveways. Wouldn't pick up many rocks at all. Thing was hydrostatic. Moved along a good clip too_Open up your wallet for a honda blower. But it will last a long time.

17. MileHigh

MileHigh PlowSite.com Addict

My snowthrower guy could bust that out in less than an hour....

Charge $150.00 If you think you can do it in the same amount of time. 2 hours i would only go up 50.00