1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10 yr old MM1 doing commercial - repair or replace?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by peterng, Dec 18, 2011.

1. peterng

peterng Senior Member

It's on the 2000 Ford 7700. The wiring harness has been repaired several times. Now instead of 3 harnesses to hook up I have 5 :)

Last event the solenoid was sticking on.

Plow works great when it works. Only occasional mishaps. I'm inclined to look into reacing the entire wiring harness. Anything else that should be replaced at this age?

I would like to get another year or 2 out of this setup.

Thanks,
    Pete

2. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

Replace the motor relay and battery harness

3. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

"Repaired" several times, or hacked several times? Lol. Seriously, re wire that thing. If the plow is solid, and all your problems have been electrical in nature, you might as well run it. I can get you part numbers if you tell me what you have for wiring....I assume you have an Isolation Module where you mentioned 3 plugs, but 3 port or 4 port?

4. RepoMan207

from Maine

I'm thinking he has had some serious light issues to have 5 plug ins.....might be a good idea to change out the peculiar headlamp harnesses (s), and common light harness, along with the power harness as you suggested....maybe even a control harness if it's been "repaired" as well.

5. peterng

peterng Senior Member

you are both dead on. I put a new solenoid on it. Previous owner had a Ford starter solenoid on it, that's why it was sticking on :) Why do you say the Battery harness should be replaced? just a periodic preventative maintenance issue ?

around $800 for all new harnesses, there are 3 harnesses to hook up. I'd have to fork out for new gheadlights in the process. Fella I bought the truck from in Concord NH put new Grote headlights on it that have a ground system that does not work easily with the plow wiring. I found this out when I went to fix the headlights and found burnt wires several feet back from the headlights. Fried a lot of stuff. I have it all replaced now. Unfortulately most of the electrical repairs that were done in the 8 years prior to me owning it were not sealed well and you see that green corrosion that has leached up the wires for a long way. Doesn't take long does it :)

Even the little plug in below the control box has a soldered terminal on it. I'd probably be in for $1500 time I swapped out the hokey wiring for new.

6. peterng

peterng Senior Member

Ryan,

Are you just pitching for Langs in your signature? Good to see. My wifes parents are up here from NH now. I worked there for 5 years and have bought a couple of trucks in southern NH.

I will be checking down there for prices for my next new purchase. I need a bigger operation to deal with salt but what that is I don't know yet. Subs r killing me :)
    Pete

7. chevyzrule810

chevyzrule810 PlowSite.com Addict

If it were me I would replace all the wiring that way there are no issues or troubleshooting in the middle of a storm when you need the plow most. Your talking about plow and truck side harnesses?

8. RepoMan207

from Maine

Ahyup, good place with decent prices, and that doesn't even take into account the tax incentives. I like how Paul runs things down there, and his guys are great to deal with. I wish I were closer, so I could use them for service work.

9. peterng

peterng Senior Member

yes plow and truck side harnesses for those prices.
    Pete

10. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FWIW, if you want to save some money and have the time to look used harnesses/take offs or new not from dealers on ebay and other places will save you lots. I'm converting my relay system over to a custom relay 3 plug and the prices I'm seeing are lots cheaper then retail. Paid $35 for a new plow side control harness for example. Not to take the wind out of any good dealers, but if your complaint is spending $1500 in time/materials to fix it right, here's a partial solution. When time=money and the environment is as hostel as plowing, fixing it right is the only option.

11. I know that I sound like a pitchman myself and nothing against Ryan and Langs(they are awesome) but PS member LON is a Fisher distributor, offers excellent customer service and fast shipping. If you PM him with your application and what you are looking for, he will get you pricing that most cannot even touch. I find it hard to believe that you would come anything close to your estimate of $1500 even if you bought new plow lights.

12. peterng

peterng Senior Member

those are a couple of awesome suggestions. yesterday I dropped the plow and the right headlight exploded. I took it apart tonight and there were wires fried 2' back from headlight. Rewired it and back in business for another day :)

I will definately be checking into both of those options, LON first, I need no more variables in my life than I already have.

Thanks guys,
    Pete