1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10' Western Vs. Blizzard 810

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by slade, Sep 22, 2007.

1. slade

slade Senior Member

For you guys that run blizzard plows how much more productive would a 810 plow be than a 10' western straight blade? Thanks for your advice.

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

there are too many variables in this question. are you saying a blizzard 810 in the 10foot straight position or in general?

if its straight to straight....I would say they should be the same.

3. newlooklandscp

newlooklandscp Senior Member
    from Midwest

If its the blizzards capabilities then blizzard hands down. I own 2 of them.

4. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

In case you didnt know, WESTERN now offers the their verstion of the blizzard 810 model and would be the best of both worlds-- the blizzard is fare more productive, but the single only reason that i have not switch, is because i like having all wester plows, for parts and repair reasons, as well as being able to switch plows and trucks as needed. They got a video of it on there site

5. ROSELAWN

ROSELAWN Member

With the same operator in the same type of truck for each plow.....I would say the Blizzard would be about 30% more productive.

6. NoFearDeere

NoFearDeere PlowSite.com Addict

I think your more comparing a Blizzard 8611 then an 810 when you start talking about a 10' Western. Those suckers are huge so you better have a large truck to mount it on. I would take a Blizzard for the all around versatility being able to go from 8'6" to 11' or 8' to 10' instead of one big 10' Western. Just my 0.02:rolleyes:

7. procut1

procut1 Senior Member

The blizzard is great productivity wise. The only problem is with so many electrical components involved, I have found them very unreliable. It seems every little thing that goes wrong renders the plow completely out of service and stranding a truck.

The newest one I have is a little over a year old, they may have changed with the new models this year, but with my previous experience, as much as I love them when they work, I cant afford to take a chance with another.

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

Like I said --- WESTERN -- now makes a plow, just like the blizzard, it has the same wings that hydrolicly extend out- from 8 to 10 feet, check it out on their web site-- its called the wing-out plow

i priced it to day, and is about $1200 more than a pro-blade, but over a 5 year period would save lots of time, gas and labor, im sure it would pay for itself -

9. slade

slade Senior Member

Here is a little more information on my situation. I have a 10' western old conventional style. I would have to fab a mount to hook it up to my truck. Probably buy a new under the hood style pump to run the hydraulics and new lights. I figure I will end up with $1000 - $1500 in it. Or buy a new Blizzard 810 for $5600. If I was buying a new either way I would go with the Blizzard, I just want dont know if it is worth $4000+ more for the blizzard. Say I have 10 hours of plowing in small to medium size lots with my 10' western how long would you think it would take for the 810. Thanks for your input.

10. JpLawn

JpLawn Senior Member

I have 3 810's and 1 9' fisher. The 810 blows any straight blade out of the water. Yes there are some electrical problem with corroded plugs and relays. If you check them often there should be no problems. You will cut a couple of hr's off your plowing time with a little bit of practice. Once you get the hang of the plow you will never use any other plow. My guys fight over what truck they are plowing with for the winter. No one wants to plow with the fisher. The blizzard is worth every penny.

11. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

[Like I said --- WESTERN -- now makes a plow, just like the blizzard, it has the same wings that hydrolicly extend out- from 8 to 10 feet, check it out on their web site-- its called the wing-out plow]
    Yes they do make one now, but I would really walk up and compare it with a blizzard if you plow allot, because the pictures, videos and dealers that seen them say that are really made light dutie. Just because its a "western" doesn't mean its going to be awesome. You have to remember that its a first year and a quick copy of the real thing.
    Buy what ever you like the best. But look at both of them first! I have allot of experience in welding / fabricating so maybe I am just seeing things different.