1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10' straight blade

Discussion in 'Boss Plows Discussion' started by cet, Feb 18, 2010.

1. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Where can I find a side picture of the tower. I believe an elbow has broken off the side of the pump/motor. Is it a vent or just a 90 degree fitting.

2. doo-man

doo-man Senior Member

If you are referring to the black elbow style fitting on the passenger side of the tower that is you oil fill/level check. Pretty important part !!!!

I will see if I can find a pic or diagram of it !

3. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

On the passenger side Chris? If so that's the plastic fill elbow where it protrudes from the tower. If it's broke off and you're in a bind simply remove the rest of the broken elbow and thread a 3/8" pipe plug into the reservoir to plug the hole until you get a replacement. No big deal.

9ee4_12k.jpg

4. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

It is snapped off. No idea how. The plow has 2 hours of plowing on it this year. Noticed fluid on the A frame and couldn't find where it was coming from. Is it a breather or not.

There is a pic of it on the mount.

Thanks.

5. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

It's not a breather, only a fill access. That's why you can plug it with no ill effects. The breather is on the top of the reservoir under the pump cover.

6. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks. Why would they make that out of plastic. No bind, no snow, LOL

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I guess I should drain out the fluid in case I got crap in there.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Because they only cost $5 and you can run without it anyway. Just be happy they didn't use steel. Rust. :cry:

And yes it wouldn't be a bad idea to do a drain/flush while it's on your mind. :drinkup:

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Well now I have something to do tomorrow. No Boss dealers around here, I will see what i can find in plastic.

10. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

See, now you have something to do while you're waiting for snow. :D

If you have no Boss dealer around I'd suggest making up a spare parts list and ordering up some things to keep on the shelf. It's a real anxiety saver when you need something in a pinch. Be happy to give you a list of the common stuff you should have on hand to cover most breakdowns if you're not sure what to have.

11. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Went on line and found a dealer 20 miles away. I didn't know they sold Boss and they might not have them on hand. I went by there yesterday and they had a Fisher Vee out front.

We usually have hoses, fluid and a solenoid.

What would you suggest.:help:

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Hoses and solenoids are some of the most important and often needed so you're on the right track there.What specific plows other than the 10 footer are you currently running?

13. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Western 8'6" MVP Plus with Western wings
    Western 7'6" Contractor Grade with Western wings
    Blizzard 810, 2003 model
    Boss 9'2" Vee

14. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

What truck are you running that 10 footer on? Hopefully not my old dump:laughing: Hows everything going?

15. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Things are good, no snow.

I bought a C6500 with a cat 3126 in Ohio(where else) last fall. It came with the 10' Boss.

I also bought a 98 Chev in Ohio also. I like that place.

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Some extra valves and coils are a good idea as well as both truck and plow side repair plugs for the wiring as all these will leave you dead in the water rather quickly. Some extra hydro fittings to cover all the brands is wise too and a spare controller for the Westerns would be high on my list also. Otherwise you have most of the other commonly needed parts covered.

17. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I got the remaining part out, that was fun. Used a tap to clean out the threads. The local so called dealer didn't have any parts or the fluid. I just capped it off for now. This truck is only a backup. I didn't get the work I bought it for and have lots of equipment to cover what I have. Next year I will set it up for a hydraulic salter and only use the plow when I get in trouble.