1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10'+++ Spreader??????

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by ChicagoSnow, Dec 29, 2002.

1. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Wondering what my options would be for a cab chassis with 10+ worth of available body space to install a salt spreader?

I really have not seen any V box spreaders beyond 10' in length. Is there a reason for this?

I'm not sure I like the idea of a 10' V box spreader on a 14' dump body? Wouldnt that be UNDER utilization of available payload?

I think to maximize a(lets say) 14-16' contractor dump body one would choose a under tailgate hydraulic spreader?

What would you rather spread ice melt material with (assume both hydraulic driven) a V box or under tailgate unit?

2. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

I just saw a HiWay V box on a roll off chassis that had to be 20' long! Then again, that truck could handle the weight.

We have an International with a 16' body on it. It's GVWR is 26,000#. Empty, the truck weighs 16,660#. That leaves about 10,000# for payload. That would be about* 4 yards of salt, even though it has the space to hold much more material. We mounted an 8' V box on it. Rounded, it holds about 3 yds of salt. The sides of the body fold down, so we load a full pallet (46 bags) of 50# bags in front of the spreader. This allows us to replenish bagged material in other trucks without them having to return to the yard. They just meet up and transfer bags. There is also enough room to hold 3 or more Toro single stage units. This truck ends up doing sites with a lot of walkways. It can carry the necessary bagged material, blowers, and can salt the lots with bulk. It actually works out very nice.

As far as your other question, I like the V box on this truck. We have another International that has a much shorter body, and higher payload which I would love to replace the V box on, and add an undertailgate spreader. The problem is the cost of the central hydraulics.

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

They are out there, swenson makes then. MDOT has a bunch of them in there wheelers, you figure a wheeler body is about 14' long, so that would make the v-box 14'.

4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

If you can't find what you're looking for, Tarrant Mfg. will build one to your specs. They also go by the name Tarco, and I believe they build the Hiway brand.
  5. Rooster

Rooster Member
    from Kansas

6. ceaman

ceaman Senior Member

put your prewet tank in front of the spreader!:D
  7. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Monroe Truck equipment makes I think 8'-14' standard V-boxes. They will custom build it bigger if you want. We have a 10' on our F750 that we can get about 8 yds in and it will be just below GVW. If we put the plow on we will be right at or a little over GVW. One thing to remember if you put a V-box that far back on a truck is where the pivot point is. With all that weight on and behind the rear axle it might make steering the truck a lot of fun.

You make a good point about the under the tailgate spreader. You can maximize your capacity and also lower your center of gravity. Not to mention all the extra weight a V-box will add vs a under the tailgate model.

I think each type has its place. A V-box is nice for spreading down the middle and not throwing it off pavement in narrow areas. But the tailgate model will let you get under the cars if you want. We have one of each. The other nice thing about the tailgate is we still have full usage of our dump box for hauling brush as we are trimming or anything else we might need it for.
  8. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Mark I would think having the plow on, would help in the neighborhood of steering.

9. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Geoff, I agree, having the plow on helping with steering. I don't think I made wrote it clearly. If you have all that weight of an 8' or 10' spreader sitting right on the back of a 14' or 16' box you could run into problems, unless you do like Chuck does with a skid or two of salt right up front.

Our county road commission tried a live bottom trailer a couple years ago for salting the main highways in our area. I don't remember how much they could carry, but it worked great except for one thing, it unloaded from the front, make the tractor's traction and steering not the greatest.

The problem with putting a pre-wet tank in front of the spreader could cause the same problem. Monroe had a couple experimental trucks for one of the DOT's that they could spread granular, liquids or pre-wet with. When the tank was empty they lost a lot of steering cotrol on those trucks. They now make tanks that hang on the side of a v-box, so the weight is distributed better.
  10. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

My mistake, Tarrant's brand name is "Highlander".
  11. SnowGodFather

SnowGodFather Member

It's not that you're loosing space, it's that the 10' boxes can hold up to 6.4 tons of salt.

that's like 14,000 pounds on a 30,000 gvw truck.

I looked into getting a 14' Flink for my 16' stake bed, but the amount of salt would overload my truck.

The price was right, at $4500 brand new, a mistake order.

But I am looking for used complete ex muni trucks, found a few all with 10' v boxes as their bodies.
  12. staley52

staley52 Member
    from Iowa

we run a IH 4900 tandem with a 10' v box bolted straight to the frame with it on the frame its 12" or so lower and so we put side boards on the top and gained almost 2 yards or so capacity dont know the total weight but the dt466 has to work its $%$ off to get to 55mph never saw 65 in 3 miles of acceleration
  13. mike9497

mike9497 Senior Member

well i really can't help.i only have a 1.5 yard v box and a 9 ft tenco dump bed/spreader which holds 3.3 yards on my f350.my l9000 has a dump bed like the tenco i have on my smaller truck. it would get packed full when i use to sub for the dot.when i mean full im talking 8 9 yards maybe more.just a guess the loader had a 2 1/2 yard bucket.most of the time it was 3 and 1/2 trips to load it.tailgate setups for dumps are nice but if you wanna sub for the dot up here u gotta get a V box or a dump/sander setup.V box costs less than the dump bed but then u have to store it somewhere.but i have seen some long V boxes.newengland motor freight near me has a H*** of a truck to sand there lot.its an old mack trash truck twin screw & one pusher cab over with a one way flink plow with side wing.Vbox on the rear.its gotta be around 14 Ft maybe more