1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10' snow pusher on single axle dump?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by pohouse, Sep 22, 2009.

1. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I am bidding on a large parking lot at a corporate office bldg. The lot surrounds the bldg. on 4 sides. I'd post a pic, but the bldg. is so new, google just shows a dirt hill. This lot is big and would require traffic lanes be opened up during the day and then the whole lot cleared at night. There are long traffic lanes, bordered by islands. Another 1 or 2 pickup plows would assist at night.

I have a 10' Monroe, 3' high (municiple grade) straight reversible. See pic. I have designed a way to add box sides to the plow and still allow for full trip capability. The box ends would need to be removable, as I also plow city streets. I'm NOT asking about how to build or add the box ends. My question is concerning the overall advisability of doing this. The truck is a Ford L800, 429 ci, 5 speed manual, plenty of power and gearing. Traction would be a question. Truck weighs in at 17,300 lb with plow, including 3000 lb ballast.

Basically, if you could put a snow pusher on a single axle dump would it work effectively? Not as manueverable as a skid, but mainly straight line pushing, clearing traffic lanes and moving snow to edges of lot. No need to pile high. Plenty of space for snow. Modifications to the plow would cost much less than hiring or leasing a skid w/ pusher. Thanks for your comments.

plow to post.jpg
  2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, It can be done. Avalalanch (speeling sucks), makes pushers to mount to trucks. You will lose some steering capabilities with the load on the front. BTW that truck looks great for the age.
  3. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Paul VZ\Neige has some vids of a truck doing this exact thing.

He'll probably chime in. Think he uses a ProTech, though, not sure why. ;)

IMO, 3,000# is way too little ballast. Load that sucker up and it will be a pushing monster.

I (allegedly) run a F750 with a 10' Monroe reversible and a 10' spreader (sander for those out east :rolleyes: ) Added 14" wings to it and increased it's productivity by about 50%. That's with about 7 tons of salt in the back.

On edit, here's one of his vids:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/T3HD92AJABA&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/T3HD92AJABA&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
  4. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

That is an awful lot of truck for a 15 year old Floridian girl. :rolleyes:

ps Nice job on the video embed. :drinkup:
  5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

:D :D

Why thank you, kind sir!