1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10' pusher on skid

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by DirtyJerzey, Dec 27, 2011.

1. DirtyJerzey

DirtyJerzey Senior Member

We picked up a almost brand new Bobcat 863 (74hp) technically Protech says I can run a 10' pusher but only an 8' pull back. We have rean 8' pull backs on smaller 40-50hp skids for a few years, only ran into problems last year with the large snow falls. I would like the 10' for a big open lot we have, as for the HOAs we do the 10' pull would be nice for the drives but 8' isnt going to kill me.

Who has ran 10's on their skids and whats your thought on them?

2. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We are running a 10' on our 873, but this is the first year, so I can't give you a performance review.

3. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I run a 10'er does fine can get heavy even with a 2"er of wet snow but I have a 550' push. Snow tires would probably help.....

4. DirtyJerzey

I figure it would probably be fine, just wanted to get some hands on information. Practically no one local runs skids with pushers that big. Not sure if it would be better to have an 8' and manhandle all snow or have a 10' and possibly have to take smaller bites if we get heavy snow

5. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I'd get a 10', you will be able to push the same amount of snow with an 8 or 10 if it's wet and heavy. The only hard part is the first push across the lot after that you can dip in and fill it as much as you can then pull out.

6. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

I am a big believer that the max you should put on a skid is a 8ft, I have tried my 10ft on my 440 and it works to a point. Then you get that massive snowfall that and it becomes a big PITA. This is my opinion of course, but stick with the 8ft then you should never have to worry about making it to the end of your lot.

7. DirtyJerzey

This is my thinking as well. Normally in NJ we get little crap storms where a 10' would blow through everything, however over the last 2 years some of our machines that have 8' on them couldnt move snow more than a few feet with the heavy fast accumulations we have. Problem is, is this is new reality for NJ that it actually snows or was it a rarety..

I am thinking of spending the money on a good 8' push/pull and then a cheap Amish made 10' box for the light storms

8. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I agree with Buckwheat, get the 8'. I used to have a 863 and I would have never put a 10' anything on it. Snow tires would definitely help you which ever route you decide to go.

9. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

You guys that are running 10' and having problems are you running out of power or traction and what size units (weight, hp, snow or stock tires, & are the sites salted). This is my first year with the skid with the pusher before we ran it with a blade at HOAs that were salted with mixed results, I switched to snows, the new site was more level & was salted, was night & day.'

10. DirtyJerzey

last year we had issue with traction and weight. Loads of snow were heavy and would just cause the tires to slide... There were a few big pushes where it stalled machines out, but these were 43hp machines that had the issues.

Im debating on adding a few plates of extra weight on the 863, its just over 7k lbs with 74hp

11. buckwheat_la

Rule of thumb (this is my rule of course)

under 10 000lbs - 8 ft pusher
    10 000 - 15 000 lbs - 10-12ft pusher
    over 15 000lbs - 16ft+

after 10 000lbs you can almost exactly plan a extra 2 ft width of pusher for every 2500lbs of extra weight on your machine

I have a 14 000lbs loader with decent tires that has spun to a standstill with a 10ft pusher full of wet heavy snow before

12. DirtyJerzey

Are you factoring HP into this? Obviously hp grows with weight, but if you add weight to a 100hp loader that doesnt neccesarrily mean it can push a bigger pusher

13. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Thanks for the imput this is what we are curretly running for pushers 12' Ist on a 18k wheel loader, 14' Sectional HD on a 25k wheel loader, 14' rubber edge on a 40+K wheel loader, 10' rubber edge on 873. I want the ability to take the machines on the road if needed, so snything bigger than 14' becomes to large & most of our sites are cut up as well. Thus is the first year with the bobcat & the big loader, the pusher was on a 30k machine last year, the bigger one should be an animal.

14. snocrete

snocrete Banned

We do something "similar" with 1 of the skids we run....works great. If your budget dosent allow the purchase of the 8 & 10ft pushers plus snow tires, I would opt for just the 8fter & snow tires for now, then add the 10fter later (jmo). We have been running 8 & 10ft pushers on skids w/"dedicated" snow tires (or tracks) for a few yrs with great results.

15. BMWSTUD25

BMWSTUD25 Senior Member

8 foot is always a safe bet. I use a 10 foot protech and it works really well on real and medium stuff. Long pushes with heavy snow take a little more time but my skid is 94HP and over 10,000 lbs

16. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

A 10ft is all that machine will want and more. That being said I would get the 10ft and use the bucket the few times that the 10 just wont go. In alot of snows you can save time with the 10 but the few you cant you could use a bucket to get started then take a little smaller slice with the 10ft box. Snow tires and try to add 500 to 1000'lbs to the machine anywhere you can. Weight is what pushes snow, HP is second. On that machine you can add 1" thick steel to inside the back door on the bottom easily also right behind the rear tires you could hang some large chunks of steel.

17. buckwheat_la

Just a thought on this, but really how much productivity are you really saving on a 10 ft vs a 8 ft? A extra 10 minutes on the hour? How long are you allowing for this contract? I only see a 10 ft being any great value if that skid is going to be used on that lot for longer then 2-3 hours. If you want more productivity on light snowfalls, extend the wings father forward so it can hold more snow, make the wings bolt on so you can take them off if needed. If you lived near me I would fabricate them up for you, but it should be able to be done pretty cheap by any welding shop.

18. DirtyJerzey

I plan on this machine being at the large site for at least 4-5hours during the storm, then off to handle 172 HOA driveways. Then back out for clean up.

19. Philbilly2

Philbilly2 2000 Club Member

I have an 863. It has 2 weight plates in the back door and foam filled dirt work tires.

I run a 8 footer with out a problem.

Ran a 10 footer fine on a 2-4inch snow. In the blizzard that we got... no dice. Ran out of tire.

20. lawnboy2121

lawnboy2121 Senior Member

i run an 8 ft on a johndeere 8875 with no problems wet or fluffy snow wouldnt go any bigger