1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10' push box on a single axel dump truck?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sk187, Nov 27, 2010.

1. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

I am looking at a 10' push box that would mount up to my existing plow brackets.

I guess the question is, has anyone ever tried this before?

I wonder if a 2 wheel drive truck could handle pushing this?

The truck is pictured below.

[​IMG]

Thanks

2. WMHLC

WMHLC Senior Member

Should be fine, but you will need at least 3 ton in the back.

Check out neige youtube he has one mounted on one of his trucks

3. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

X2 on the Neige Video.....Nice Truck...Just got a ticket in one just like it......The State of Michigan is Starting to Crack down on Blade size.....Nothing over 8 and a Half Feet...wrote me up for the Belly Blade....Doe's NOT matter what angle it is transported at...If the Blade is over 8 and a half feet its a Ticket....That goes for Front Blades too....Hopefully your DOT on that side of the State is a Little Nicer....Yes, I did look it up...It is a Law....You can buy a permit per county for $65 a county.Per Year....

4. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

didn't someone say that it gets impossible to steer once the box is full?

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

If you lift the blade up it put weight on your steer tires. The comany that originally designed the Avalanche use to run 10ft boxes on there 2 way single axles. I'm sure they would work fine.

6. bossplowguy

bossplowguy Senior Member

They are the same way around here on blade size. Altho the blade just has to be 102" when angled. I tried getting permits and the people at the d.o.t office said there are no permits for plows. I dont understand this because it should be considered a "load" I would think. If it can be taken on and off easily:gunsfiring:

7. snowtech

snowtech Member

sk187 i think the guys at northshore truck in lake bluff, IL (just north of chicago) have done that. I dont know details but if you need info they may be worth a phone call. good luck

8. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

i get that...but if your pushing and you need to pile it off to the side i guess you would have to back off and re-align? sometimes my skids won't turn with a full box not sure a truck would

9. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

With plenty of weight in the back it will push that box very well. Turning will be an issue when full, like JDave said pick up a little, the other thing is to try and square off the area your working at and then you can stay straight. (hope that made sense)

10. Metro Lawn

Metro Lawn PlowSite.com Addict

They were absolutly wrong if the blade was angled and it was 102" or less. I have 10' blades on my bigger trucks and never gotten stopped unless they were not angled. That would be like writing a ticket for hauling a 12' beam on a 10' flatbed. As long as the vehicle does not exceed 102" wide while in motion on a public highway, you are fine. You do have to be careful on some roads as they are not a class A road. The old law reads that maximum width is 96" and they never updated it. I have seen guys with 102" wide trailers get tickets.

11. TCLA

TCLA 2000 Club Member

sk187, why put a pusher on your salter? That truck already has a sweet front blade, and a belly blade (both of which are as of now ticket magnets). Spend more time salting with it than plowing with it.

Blade length will be the focus now a days. They are now, and will continue to collect easy money for this. We never got ticketed before this year either, but it happened.

They won't even ask to see your CDL, med card, check your tires, fire extinguisher, etc.......you're a sitting duck with a 10'blade on. It's a quick and easy ticket for them.......

12. Matson Snow

It is a Law....Checked with the State Police and Local Law (Oakland County)...Its one those laws where they kinda looked the other way....The Officer that pulled me over said i was his third ticket of the day...The other 2 were 5 yard dumps with 10 foot blades on the front....Im very well versed in DOT and CDL rules and this one kinda slipped by me....

13. snocrete

snocrete Banned

So does that mean ALL the guys running Ebling rear plows that expand out to over 8.5 ft are illegal? I would assume this doesnt apply to blizzard,western,fisher pp's....

sk187, that truck would handle a 10ft pusher fine....but wondering why?

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010
  14. Matson Snow

The way the Officer and the People at the State Police i talked to... The Blade has to Be 8 and a half feet or less from its furthest point....For power plows and Back blades they would be measured in the retracted postion....

15. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

This is similar to what I was thinking.

Its more of a strait plow with wings added on and then just a rubber piece hanging down in place of shoes.

[​IMG]

Thanks for the info on the belly blade, I usually take it off in the summer and the truck is only on one job the entire winter and spends all its time there.

16. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I see.......

17. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

The big job the truck is on is all parking lots that really have to all be pushed to one end and wind rowing with that strait plow is a pain.

18. shooterm

shooterm Senior Member
    from Midwest

We just used to windrow the main areas with the salt truck and let the loaders push it to the end. With a salt truck and grader windrowing large areas for the loaders it took them extremely little time to side by side push ALOT of snow. Seems to me from the picture you atleast have two loaders there.

19. pohouse

pohouse Senior Member

I wanted to do this same thing last year, but didn't get the job. Check the thread below, it contains the video mentioned above. I have the same front hitch as you (husting hitch) and it would be a snap to change from straight blade to a pusher and back again. Was that pusher in Taylor MI? I can't remember their name now, but I bought my plow from them.

As far as if it can be done, the answer is yes. You need weight, at least 6k ballast.

http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=84816

20. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

Yeah it was in Taylor, they had a lot of used plows.

I went there a few weeks ago after a big heavy equipment auction and checked them out.

With this plow I have no clue how it will work without shoes on it. It currently just has to rubber pieces hanging off the wings, I assume this is so the it can still trip without messing up the wings.

The other options would be to buy a box and try and fab it to fit the truck or buy a strait hustings hitch plow and weld wings on. I imagine a plow without a power angle will be hard to find and one with power angle will be atleast $3000.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2010