1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10 miles of sidewalks!

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by custom9152, Aug 18, 2006.

1. custom9152

custom9152 Junior Member

Just landed a contract with 10 miles of sidewalks on the property. Trying to find the most efficient way of clearing them. Using a Bobcat would cause alot of turf repairs in the spring. Anyone have an opinion on the ATV plows? Thanks

2. salopez

salopez Senior Member

What about a compact tractor with cab and blower or plow? would have less damage and the driver wouldn't freeze his tail off on it. Or youcould go with a tool cat....

3. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

the university here has probably 10 miles of walks also....they use a ztr lawn mower size machine with a power broom. turns on a dime and should be easy on the turf considering there grass always looks great. i don't think a blade would be a good choice due to the amount of snow they would leave behind causing slip hazards.

4. itsgottobegreen

itsgottobegreen PlowSite.com Addict

I am with salopez on this one. Why, well because his and my kubota compacts do just side walks. Both are equiped with cabs and 4' or 5' 2 stage snow blowers. They can clear more side walk in an hour then 20 guys with shovels. :rolleyes:

The cab on my kubota gets so warm, that my operator last year was plowing in a T-shirt and set of gym shorts. Sure beats the first storm where he was in two layers of clothes and a full body cardhard. (stupid cab didn't here soon enough for the first storm)

5. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

I'd go with a compact tractor with a Curtis blade (only because that is what I have and I love it) or a untility vehicle like an RTV.

6. salopez

salopez Senior Member

I have a blade in the bucket as well, my only issue would be tigh turns. the machine is very long and if the snow builds up it can push the machine sideways easily. I personally would mount the plow on the frame, or use a blower...which ever is going to be faster and more efficent in your area.