1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10 miles / gallon 96 CTD

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by Dodgediesel96, Jan 24, 2007.

1. Dodgediesel96

Dodgediesel96 Junior Member

I have a 96 ram 2500 CTD. This is my first diesel but many will surely follow. I know that the diesels are known for fuel efficency over their gas counterparts but mine is only getting 10-12 miles / gallon. Granted we are towing, hauling or plowing with it at all times but shouldent this engine be doing better than 10 mpg? What can I do to fix this or is there anything I can do to bump the mpg up to 15+ maybe? Thanks for the help!

2. kysnowman

kysnowman Member

If your plowing all night I would say you would be getting worse than 10. Pulling something you should get 13 and highway empty near 20.
  3. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

My 2001 Cummins stock gets 22 or so empty, 16 on average loaded or plowing, and 12 if I am driving hard under load!
    Try a chip or exhaust it does help from what I have been told!
  4. Dodgediesel96

oh ok that sounds about right. Thanks for the info
  5. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Im getting around 11mpg with the plow on. You'll also see a decrease of a mile or 2 per gallon with the winter blend of diesel.
  6. mileage

More important, what mileage do you get if you are not plowing or towing on the freeway? If you mileage was 12-15 mpg on highway with no load I would then look into a few things. Your 96 has a mechanical injection pump. Your injection pump could be out of phase and/or the timing has slipped a little. You can not chip a 96. But like other have mentioned you can get a better flowing exhaust and a better intake setup which will help mpg. And even a larger turbo will get you better mpg on the 12 valve motors. I have found my mileage is directly related to my right foot.....:nod:

I constanty hall around 1000 lbs in the back of my 94 CTD..... ( I have 100 gallon fuel tank and tool box in bed now)

And still get 18.9 city and 21 highway. 16.5 towing my 12,000 trailer..... and that is with 425 rear wheel HP and 950 TQ.
  7. Dodgediesel96

yea on the highway with no load i get 20+ so everything sounds right........ thanks guys