1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10 ' heavyweight slow

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by concreteguy, Dec 26, 2010.

1. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

I have a new Western 10 ' heavyweight plow on my truck and the plow moves so slow, is there something wrong or is this how slow they move. I checked the angle rams, they seem correct and the quad. doesnt seem to be bound, any ideas. Thanks, Tom

2. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

Check your owners manual or Western's website. They give normal times (in seconds) for lift and angling. If you are not in those time frames use the trouble shooting guide to get you started.
    They use the same hydraulic pump as the smaller size plows.
    They are a bit slower.
    When is the last time you changed the fluid and cleaned the filter??

3. twinman326

twinman326 PlowSite.com Addict

If your using ATF fluid, it might be the weather doing it. If you have a warm place to put if for the night, see how it runs in the morning.. If that the case, I would change it the "blue"hydraulic fluid.. That handle the cold weather better

4. concreteguy

Its been slow from day one and it does have the Western fluid in there from when I changed it this season. I'll time the full cycle from left to right. Thanks

5. twinman326

I could be the pump not moving the fluid faster enough

what kind of truck and year is it, and how old is the plow?

Mod or a relay system. If it a mod is it a 3mod or 4mod. 2/wires or w/3wires?

Do you have a heavy duty alt and battery in the truck?

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  6. concreteguy

The plow is brand new ( well, its less than a year old and has been this way from new ) and is on a 2000 T 7500 cab-over. The batteries load tested fine, not sure on the alt.amp output. The truck starts fine and the plow runs slow right away, not after using it a bit.I beleive its a 3 wire module set-up. The time it takes to go from left to right is 7 sec.It does seem to draw down on the truck, so I was thinking bad ground maybe.

7. twinman326

On the western site when I check on your plow, with your setup, it stated to have a HD alt, and HD battery..A lot of guy on here would say ,"NO" don't worry about it..I say do worry about it..The plow motor draws between 150-200 amps. You have a BIG plow.More weight, and more amp draw.. That is a big plow to move in different directions..7sec might seem a lot, but maybe it not for your size plow

I have a high amp with a 275 amp fuse in me bat post off the alt to the first battery. I also have two batteries. On for the truck, and one for the plow and it accessories (fog lights, rotary light), and they are attach to a power strip..I also have extra grounds. One from the battery to the engine, and two from the engine to both side of the truck frame..

This is just my opinion..

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
  8. concreteguy

I'll check on the alt. output and I'm going to change the batteries. When I do the batteries I'll clean the ground and make sure the rest of the cables are clean and tight
    Thanks, Tom

9. twinman326

The pro plow I have takes (ex: going to the right) 4-5 seconds... 7 seconds might be normal for your plow..

Just keep in mind if you ever decide to install "dual"batteries make sure they are the same cranking amps (higher cranking amps if possible if you but two new batteries). I also recommend the second battery be a "top" and "side "mount posts. The reason for this, use the side post for the positive cable coming from the main battery, and the ground off the second battery to the engine.. The plow "power cables" would be attach to the "post", not the side mounts.. Then I would add an extra ground from the engine to the truck frame..

They do sell a battery isolator which re charges both batteries at different time.. I instead, just change my charging in back of the alt to a bigger size wire (14ga, to a 10ga wire).

10. concreteguy

It already has dual batteries and I will add the extra ground wire. I'll keep you posted on the outcome Thanks Tom

11. no lead

no lead PlowSite.com Addict

assuming this plow is an ultramount i would do a pressure test. it is possible the pressure is set to low or the main relief has backed out. 7 seconds seems a little slow.

12. twinman326

Checking on you vehicle at western, it seem your using the unimount setup instead of the ultra setup. Using the newer style pump (3 stage) instead of the 2 stage. I guess you have a 3 port mod with 3 wires out the front of the truck, or 2 wire?

U can try a pressure test to see if you pressure is about 1900. Here is a diagram. Just make sure the pump fluid is warm..Look at the chart
    heavyweight pres test.jpg

heavyweight pres test B.jpg

Here is a couple of Pdf links for your plow
    http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html....com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/13668.13_060109.pdf

http://www.pdfdownload.org/pdf2html....com/ddcommon/dd_pdf/pdfs/43226.00_051508.pdf

Mech guide. The test is on pages #46-#47
    http://library.westernplows.com/pdf/21936_120198.pdf

heavyweight pres test.jpg

heavyweight pres test B.jpg

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
  13. concreteguy

When I first got the truck and the plow was never used, I noticed how slow it was and I did do a press. test and it was within spec. I'm not by the truck and will be working on this tomorrow, but I do believe its a 3 wire. I've been told that its just a slow plow and just not willing to accept that its that slow because its a heavy plow. My 9' uni is pretty fast and I can't imagine that it would be that much slower.By the way it's a unimount heavy weight Thanks

14. twinman326

I knew it was a unimount.

I don't know if you read the chart, just wondering if you saw this"On 3-piece pumps, verify the relief valve screw cannot be turned by hand. If it can, adjust to chart value after applying medium strength thread locking compound to screw heads or stake pump body with punch around threads to prevent screw loosening".

I guess from reading this, western must of felt they had a problem with the screw backing out..

So if the pressure is not at 1900, then the screw might of back itself out!

Or to give your self a little more pressure, turn the crew clockwise 1/4 or just a little less...

15. concreteguy

Going to the truck, so I willl give you an update when I have one. Thanks for the info

16. twinman326

Your welcome

17. concreteguy

Hey twinman, I ended up not replacing the batteries but removed and cleaned all the terminals on batt, plow,alt,frame and the cycle time is 5 sec, which is a huge improvement. I appreciate the time you spent responding, it helped. Thanks again

18. twinman326

amazing what cleaning and a little maintenance can do.It goes a long way...I would put some dielectric grease inside the connectors, and the battery terminals..

Glad your plow is working better........Safe plowing........