1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10 foot V-Box Stainless Hydo or gas

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by K&N Snow, Dec 1, 2006.

1. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

I am planning to buy a 10 foot v-box Stainless just wanted to know what was the best kind and if you guys liked Hydro or a gas motor and any other options you recomend (Vibrator, Pre Wet system, or double or single hydo motors)wesport
  2. Jpocket

Jpocket Senior Member

Hydrauilc will be simple, and pretty much hassle free. The gas will be good, but will be more tempermental
  3. K&N Snow

K&N Snow Member

I was also wondering what kind of flow rate I need
  4. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

swenson ss hydro with a pre wetting system one motor for the spinner and one for the chain. trust me these spreaders are the best. got mine for $750 slightly used.
  5. Oshkosh

Oshkosh PlowSite.com Addict

Hydraulics are less of a pain in the long run.

If you have a wet system(Hydraulics) on your truck Hydraulic is the way to go.If you don't have a wet system and if you plan on keeping your setup for a while then I feel it is worth every penny....
    Pony motor setups are great when they run,you have another engine to maintain/repair/replace more parts drive chains,electric clutch's etc that can go bad and will with time.You have to remember these units are out in the worst of conditions with salt,calcium all around not the best for longevity....A plus to a pony if your truck dies you can slide it onto another truck without a hydraulic setup and keep working.Just thinking out loud!!!
    Screens are a must,believe me after shoveling out a hopper a couple of times screens are worth every penny.A vibrator would be nice as wet sand,sand mix etc likes to pac together in the rear of the spreader.I always had two drive motors one on the conveyor and one for the spinner.A belt over the chain is a nice option as it gives you a much more consistent application,I'm told the chain last allot longer also....Remote grease tubes to the bearings are nice especially if your hopper is in a dump body.Calcium setup if you are going to use it...Ground speed controls are nice especially when you get tired you wont leave piles of material every time you stop,it all comes down to $$$$$..........Just things I've run across after many years in the commercial end of things.
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2006