1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10' box pusher on a 220 bobcat, 2008

Discussion in 'Pro-Tech Sno Pushers' started by Eronningen, Oct 22, 2009.

1. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Wondering if a 220 can handle a 10' box. It would be a chain on model. Thanks

2. snocrete

snocrete Banned

A 220 can handle a 10fter, but it would handle it better if it had a quick attach plate, and not a chain on style.....any reason this cant be done(weld on a plate)? IMO, if its going on the SS all winter it would be well worth it.

3. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

Why would it handle it better on the quick attach plate? I can buy an 8' box like that but a couple people are telling me that the quick attach plate right on a box might not work as well, conforming to lot contours, maybe some chatter being its right at the front wheels. It would be on and off, hauled between two lots. Using a standard 72" bucket to trim and sidewalks, than strapping on the box to help a f550 finish up the lots.

4. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I have a hard time seeing less chatter from chain mount?...Keeping your arms lower, keeps more weight lower. More manuverable with being closer to machine. Easier to operate/see pusher & what your doing ( at least in a SS where your closer to the ground). Easier & ALOT faster to switch from pusher to bucket & back ................If following ground contours is an issue you should look into a pusher that actually floats/oscillates or has some type of built-in movement in the design...not rely on the slack you might have in the chains. JMO

5. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

thanks for the input, the more the better. Snoocrete, do you run a quick attach pusher? If so how do you like it? The used quick attach I',m looking at is only an 8' one. The line I have on the 10' one is a chain on. The guy with the chain on 10' swears the chain on is the way to go and he has alot of time in on heavy equipment pushing snow. I'm not sure what to think right now.
    I've never pushed a snow box with skidder. Just dirt buckets and alot of truck snow moving.

6. redman6565

redman6565 PlowSite.com Addict

personally, skids working better with plow blades better than pushers

7. snocrete

snocrete Banned

For some that may be, for some not.....I had a couple plows (with & without wings) for SS's before I bought my 1rst pusher....for the work I have SS's on, the pushers outperform plows.

8. snocrete

snocrete Banned

Yes, Bobcat brand pushers are what I run......they follow contours great.

depending on price of pushers and your welding ability it would be real cheap to convert the 10fter to a quick attach plate......even to pay someone to do it couldn't be much, just do the paint yourself with a rattle can.....I would definitely go with a 10fter on a s220 though.

P.S. dont know what the pushers r selling for, but a new bobcat 10fter is around $3500 (not for sure on that, but know I'm close)...I think they have 0% for 2yrs also right now.

9. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

But what I am really wondering is if it is better to clean snow with a chain on box out farther in front of the SS or is it better to have a regular quick attach box. Forget the 10' vs 8' debate. Money isn't an issue, I have two good used ones I'm looking at. The 10' chain on would be about $1500 and the quick attach 8' box is $1800. So the price is a wash anyways. The only difference is the chain on drive into style vs. the quick attach. Some guys say its nice to have the chain on, be able to use pusher as needed, drop pusher quick by unhooking chains, use regulaer bucket to back drag here and there and drive into pusher and go again with out having to drive across lot to whereever the other bucket is and switch and drive back.

10. snocrete

snocrete Banned

I think I gave you my opinion here that the quick attach is gonna perform better, didn't i?
    I rarely switch from pusher to bucket....If the operator is good, that minimizes the need for the bucket (or put a pullback kit on the pusher ).....for what little we use the bucket, its not a big deal to drive across the lot to switch over. Messing with a chain on style mutiple times throughout a storm would be a MAJOR PITA!!!! I like my power bobtach.

And if money isn't an issue, why dont you just go buy an Arctic pusher or Bobcat pusher (IMO the 2 best designs out)....in the long run it would be money well spent.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2009
  11. Eronningen

Eronningen Senior Member

I guess I could go look at a bobcat pusher. Did not think that there was much of a difference in box pushers? Thanks. I get your drift

12. OhioPlower

OhioPlower Senior Member

Ive never used a pusher but I was checking one out at the local dealer. I liked it, would buy one. My favorite thing about it was it seemed pretty tall compared to some of the other skid steer pushers out there. Had a shock absorber too which could either be good or pointless, like I said earlier ive never used one.

13. ljbev

ljbev Senior Member

pita

imo The chain thing is the biggest pita going. The chains are always laying around in the snow and binders are freezing up you get soaked and all. If you cant decide get the 10' use it with the chains if you dont like it weld a plate on and be done with it.
    Best of both worlds u can decide for yourself and let us know.