1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10' box on Toolcat?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by John_DeereGreen, Aug 16, 2015.

1. John_DeereGreen

John_DeereGreen PlowSite.com Addict

Dealer is saying that they do not suggest over an 8 foot box on a new 5600 Toolcat.

Other than the weight of the box and snow overworking the front suspension, I can't come up with any reason why it can't run a 10 foot box. Machine weighs almost 6K, throw 500 pounds in the bed and you're comparable to an S590/320E/L220 etc skid that can run a 10 foot box with no issues.

Box in question will either be a Kage or Snow Wolf equivalent, or a Metal Pless Liveboxx

Those with experience?

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

How are you getting a S590 to push a 10' is my question. My 650's have issues sometimes. Anyways the tool at struggles with my 8' that we made for it, with 850lb in the bed. I put a blower on it and it only does walks now.

3. John_DeereGreen

We have 2 Cat 242D's that pushed 10 foot Boss boxes and are going to go back to the 10 foot Arctic's they had or Liveboxx's, and 2 NH L175's that push a 10 foot Kage and an 8-11 HLA. On a 2-4 inch snow, we've never had issues. Factory tires. If our lots ever had more than 4 inches of snow on them except during say a blizzard, it wouldn't matter how well it did or didn't push, because we wouldn't be the ones pushing them.

My goal for the Toolcat is municipal sidewalks with a broom or blower, then small lots in a downtown setting after walks are done, with either a Kage/angle blade, or Liveboxx. More than likely the Kage/angle blade, as if the municipal account is ever lost, the Toolcat can go right into HOA's with the blade and blower and shine.

As much as I'd like to save the money and buy an RTV1100, it can't go into HOA's and do what a Toolcat can. And it sure can't go into larger lots and do what a Toolcat can. We can still use the Toolcat in the summer for spraying and watering annuals just like the RTV. We don't need any more skids, and I'm confident that it could replace a skid if needed.

4. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

It will do what you want it to. I have used a 10' plow, a v plow, a hi flow snow blower, and broom on ours.

5. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

Weird, I had an 810 on mine and I wish I had gone with an 8611. It was never underpowered or struggled with the 10' blade.

I wouldn't hesitate for a second to run a 10' on one.

6. John_DeereGreen

Mark and Herm...I've seen several posts (and a PM) saying that your Toolcat's have been maintenance money pits as well as others saying the same. So far I've only been able to find 2 people that have/are using them for snow that say they would not buy another one out of about 10 people. Everyone else has said they've put a good bit of money into them, but still would buy another one.

Do you feel that it's due to the usage being too much, the machine being under engineered, or operator abuse? Have you looked at the current model, and have an opinion on it? I really really don't want to end up with a 70K money pit in 3-5 years, nor do I want to trade constantly to avoid that. I don't think our machine would see more than 200 hours per season at the absolute most, and that's if we use it in the spring/summer to load a mulch blower and to spray in parks and along highways.

We had a demo unit yesterday...man it's sweet. Had no problem lifting a 330 gallon tote of water with almost 300 gallons in it into a truck. Worked great for spraying in our parks as well even being 5500 pounds, no ruts etc and it was on the skinny R4's. I'd probably go with wide turfs and a set of Snow Wolf or Westside Tire for witner. (it also hasn't rained for 2 weeks) Just a lot more money than any other option, but it can also do more than any other individual choice.

7. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

I can't speak for Mark, actually no one can :), but we operate in the same environment. Road salt takes its toll causing premature wear and tear and the absolute inaccessibility of repairing any and all stuff under the cab. We had a front bearing go out. It was frozen on the shaft. It had to be cut out. Then parts were not available. Do you want me to go on? With four wheel steer it is easy to back into something and take out the rear suspension. Not abuse just an ordinary bump. Want me to go on. Hard to replace hoses. Oh yes and don't forget that the oil cooler sucks in debris and as a result wears out. Other than that stuff and more we love the machine. I'd love to buy another but the maintenance history does not justify it. Just way to much maintenance for a piece of equipment bred and sold as snow equipment. Having said all that, my Toolcat is forsale. I don't think I helped it any.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2015
  8. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

Jarrett,
    How do you like your 242D for pushing snow.
    Would be interested in hearing if you have had any issues with it and any likes or dislikes on the machine.

9. IDST

IDST Senior Member

I love my Toolcat. I bought a new one last year and put an eight foot FastTach on it. Dealer told me same thing.

I plowed with one about five years ago that had a ten foot pusher on it. it handled it pretty good. The only reason i went with the eight is is that two feet is alot for manuvering around stuff and if you catch an edge you can do alot of damage to the front end.

10. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

I was thinking this today, forgot you guys have bare pavement, most of the time I'm on hardpack

11. Mark Oomkes

Makes sense then.

What tyres were you using?

12. John_DeereGreen

They're okay. I'd never buy one. But for what we pay on the lease we can't afford not to use them.

No major issues, other than extremely sensitive controls till they warm up. Oh, and forget about seeing anything behind you for about the first 60 feet. You can't see ****, especially if you're short like me.

Thank you for your honesty, I appreciate it. I really hope Bobcat has improved as they've come along. Lots of coin to spend to have issues like that.

They just appear to be so handy that I'm having a hard time not putting up with some issues.

13. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

If you do buy I encourage you to pedal it after about four winters.

14. Mark Oomkes

Jarrett, my Toolcat let me down twice, at the end of the run both times. A drive belt and a hose. Other than that, it was very reliable. And very handy. Still kinda wish I had it, but we get by.

15. John_DeereGreen

The up side to the Toolcat is my dealer is willing to roll one into their rental fleet as a loaner in case mine happens to go down in a storm.

Not sure if that's a testament to their reliability, or lack thereof! :laughing::laughing:

16. Herm Witte

Herm Witte Senior Member

That's a plus.

17. SnowMatic

SnowMatic Member
    from USA

You'd never buy one because its cheaper to lease or cause you dont care for the 242D.? Do you find it to be a large enough machine to push snow with the 10ft'r. ?
    My sales guy said he thought 10ft would be to big for the 242D, guess it depends to on how heavy of a snow and how far your pushing also.
    I take it yours didn't come with the nice rear camera?

18. John_DeereGreen

When they were building route sheets for the machines, the guys were fighting over who got to run the 4K hour New Hollands and who had to run the Cat's. I feel the same way as they do.

And no, neither unit has the backup camera.

I'm not sure where you're at, but where these machines are we have no problem running the 10 foot boxes. One storm last winter was 12 inches in less than 8 hours, and only then did they complain about some traction issues on longer pushes. Even our 621B wheel loaders (28K pounds) with 14 foot HD Arctic boxes were struggling on a couple longer pushes toward the end. All regular skid tires, we've never run dedicated snow tires.

I'd have no hesitation at all to throw 10 foot boxes on 2k ROC skids just about anywhere if I had dedicated snow tires on them. It's been proven time and again that they can run them without issues.

Our 244J however pushes a 12 foot Arctic like it's not there. Outworks the skids by at least 20%, and burns half the fuel doing it. Pushing in lots, not in HOA's/apartments/small complex lots.

19. Neige

Neige Sponsor

I like the the idea of a hydraulic wing plow. best of all worlds in my opinion.

plowmaxx on a toolcat.jpg

20. John_DeereGreen

What size wing plow would you put on it Paul?