1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10 Bolt Axle Question?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by CAT 245ME, Nov 24, 2006.

1. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

Hi, I would like some information on the front 10 bolt axles that were used on GM trucks of the 80's, what was the diffrence between the K5 & K10 trucks compared to the ones used on the K20 trucks other than one being a 6 lug and the other being an 8 lug.

2. Caleb55

Caleb55 Member

I believe the 1/2 tons and 3/4 tons were all 10 bolts and the 1 Ton's were Dana 60 Fronts.

3. bowtie_guy

bowtie_guy Senior Member

Did they install corporate 10 bolts in 3/4 and 1 tons or were they dana 44's and 60's??

That's what I thought but may be wrong. I beleive the 44 and gm 10 bolt look kinda the same??

4. CAT 245ME

GM began using the 10 bolt in the late 70's in K5,K10 & K20 trucks that had previosly used the dana 44's and as far as I know all the K30 trucks used a dana 60 up front, what I am trying to find out if the 10 bolt 6 lug version was the same as the 8 lug 10 bolts that was put under the K20's, did they each have the same axle shafts and what is the more common gear ratio that was in the 8 lug 10 bolt and also are they equaly strong?

5. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

I think they were the same except for the knuckle and the brakes. Hubs are the same I think as well.

6. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

The only difference between the 1/2 and 3/4 ton 10 bolt front rear's is the wheel hub and rotor(of course) and the brake backing plate (caliper mounting bracket) Every thing else is the same, wheel bearings,spindle's, axle's,U joints, axle housing,gears everything.

7. CAT 245ME

The reason I was wondering is I have been thinking of doing an axle swap, getting rid of my 6 lug axles in favor of something more stronger, I would like to run 8 lug axles because I would like a 14 bolt in the rear for towing and the fact it can handle the extra weight like a sander for example, as for the front 10 bolt I am going to look into converting it to an 8 lug.

8. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Cat,converting your 6 lug to 8 lug is a really easy swap if you can come up with the part's. Doing a "knuckles out" swap is much easier than swapping the entire rearend. And while you've got it apart you can give it a good check up.

9. CAT 245ME

The truck is a rebuild project that will be my second plow truck, I had already put in new ball joints, axle u-joints and new warn locking hubs so it would be smarter to convert to 8 lugs. Now if I could only find the parts and a solid 14 bolt for the rear I would be all set.:nod:

10. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

all you need is hub and rotor and backing plate from a 10 bolt 8 lug. spindles are the same. older dana 44 had smaller inner bearing race on the spindles. if you keep the internal locking hub style unit you will be safe from this.

and the best site for chevy stuff is www.ck5.com. tons of great info and great guys/gals over there.

11. midnightsun13

midnightsun13 Junior Member

when you get your 14bolt....make sure its a full floater instead of a semi floater....you wont regret it...also dont the 6 lugs have a 1" smaller ring gear than the 8 lugs?

12. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

Full floater has a 10.5 ring gear. Semi floater has a 9.5 ring gear. If its a 6 lug 14 bolt then it has to be the 9.5 semi floater.

13. sweetk30

and dont forget to get a 3/4 ton 14ff . the 1 tons had diffrent shock and spring perch positions. this + more work. the 3/4 ton is drop in easy.

14. midnightsun13

midnightsun13 Junior Member

you must also remember that the 9.5" 14 bolt 6-lug is rare and worth a load of money depending on location....i have 2 of them....but they did make a 9.5" semi floating 8-lug....far more commonand almost as common as the full floaters i believe

15. CAT 245ME

Roughly how much would I be looking at to purchase a 14 bolt full floating axle in good cond, also what is the most common gear ratio for this axle?

16. sweetk30

we at ck5.com say no more than 150 max in great shape. thay are vary comon. most were 4.10 and the others were 3.73 some were 4.56 but not as comon.

17. CAT 245ME

Sounds like a good buy. I hope to start looking for one soon so I can have something to do when construction season is over.