1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10 Acre Shopping Mall Pricing - New to Industry

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by snowsquad, Sep 3, 2015.

1. snowsquad

snowsquad Junior Member
    from Canada

Hello all,

before everyone jumps into this thread advising me to stay well clear of a job of this size, let me give you more information.

- I have 2000 summer lawn care, landscaping and property maintenance clients. Some of the work we do would be a comparable size to managing a shopping mall for a winter season
    - My market receives approximately 120 inches of snow a year
    - I have a management team and a group of key employees that are already very capable on big equipment
    - I currently have 5 Tractors (6105M John Deere) with 92 inverted pronovost blowers and 1 HLA 10 foot with 3 foot wings snow pusher on order for this winter season.
    - Multiple trucks with different variations of plow setups

Now that we have gotten that out of the way, lets get into my question. The 4 JD tractors with inverted blowers are for residential work. Our organization set out a goal of 400 driveways in year one and we are well on our way to obtaining that goal (door to door sales, door hangers, bill boards, radio ads, direct mail, telemarketing, SEO optimization). I'm on top of residential at the moment.

The area that I require assistance is surrounding an 10 Acre shopping center. The parking lots are very open, with very few obstacles, curbs and islands. I would give the mall a 1.5/10 on the scale of busy (half the stores in the mall are vacant). Tons of room to stack the snow and removal is an hourly rate in addition to the contract. Sidewalks are maintained by the mall staff but ice management is left for the contractor. I have already read countless forums that outline in detail how the job can be tackled and what equipment will be required (I also have some local mentors that are helping me with operations but the refuse to give me a hand on pricing).

My question is all about pricing (price per snowfall or annual price) anything is helpful. REMEMBER, we get 120 inches of snow every year...

Note: I'd appreciate if the negative comments about how green I am are left out of this. I really only looking for a productive thread. I already have a price that I am 85% confident with (which is very high for my standards) however I would love some reassurance.

Double Side Note: I am meeting the property manager tomorrow at 9am (approx 12 hours!!) Any help would be so greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
    Simon

2. MIDTOWNPC

MIDTOWNPC PlowSite Veteran

that property manager is looking for the cheapest price they can get because the owner (landlord) is now covering the common costs for all those vacant units. the landlord is currently your biggest customer but down the road that could change if it fills up. When your working for the landlord to please the tenants and the building is full then they want the best service and price doesn`t mean as much because its passed onto the tenant.

why is the place so empty

If its going thru redevelopment then it might be a good foot in the door for the future. You can also help forcast budgets for snow by looking at plans.

10 acres is alot of pavement and more importantly it may have alot of sidewalks. They also require alot of salt to be stockpiled. Its one thing to be able to plow it because you have the equipment but you have to be able to front the money to keep the salt available and things paid for.

There area alot of vacant units in our town but I happen to own one that is full for the next 8 years and when they start to go vacant its hard to get them rented. I know that is not your problem but it affects pocket book and factors of risk in my opinion.

The timing of the mall opening is also something I would look into
    We have a large mall that opens at 10:00 and its an outlet style mall. Its southern facing and the sun does alot of work for us if we get a good scrape.

3. snowsquad

snowsquad Junior Member
    from Canada

I agree with you that the property manager is looking for a bargain. That is the only reason that I company like mine would pre-qualify and even have an opportunity to place a bid.

As far as sanding and salt goes, we are able to keep product and equipment on-site which is a huge bonus. The location of the mall is in a prime location, and seems to be well kept. Over the years it hasn't reacted to the big box store trend and slowly attracted less traffic as box stores are popping up everywhere around it. However, one of the tenants is a very busy 24 hour fitness gym (goodlife) which cannot be over looked.

4. MIDTOWNPC

I think you would get more help if you posted what or how you got your pricing.

5. MIDTOWNPC

24 hours sucks!

No letting that pile up a bit over night. That has to be clean
    I would never let the tenant do the snow and you do the ice.

6. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

what about the years when you only get 119 inches. (Double side note, don't you people measure in centimeters? )

7. snowsquad

snowsquad Junior Member
    from Canada

Correction: property manager looks after clearing snow and ice management on sidewalks around mall.

8. snowsquad

snowsquad Junior Member
    from Canada

Triple side note: Avg is 263 cm

264 may bury us...