1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

10 Acre Push, Strategy?

Discussion in 'Bidding & Estimating' started by Patrick34, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Patrick34

Patrick34 Member

Currently bidding on a 10 acre property. Property is pretty straight forward with one big exception: all snow must be relocated to a specific side of the property. Property manager indicated they use every parking space available on certain days, therefor no snow piles in the parking lot or perimeter. All snow to be re-located to side of property (see picture with red X). I am not entirely sure how to handle this. Property manager thought the prior service was using 1 loader with a snow pusher and just pushing all snow to the designated pile area. I cannot see how 1 loader could get his done in a reasonable amount of time. I am thinking at least 2 loaders, plus a large dump truck to haul snow from one area of the property to the designated snow pile area.

Anyone have any suggestions or comments?? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

2. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

We have a similiar site to that but it's 7 acres and we push it all with a 12ft pusher. If he wants it all done in one night you'll need to have to have something in there to help you. The loader could concentrate on pushing while a pickup or skid feeds it. I think 2 loaders would be better but I doubt they'll pay for 2 loaders. I would also ask if you can pile snow for 24 hrs for early morning snow falls and then push it the next night. IMO pushing it will be the cheapest way if you own the loader. Hauling it gets expensive even if you own the trucks.
  3. capitalsnow

capitalsnow Member

I have done a similar lot out up this way , one option, if its okay with the property manager, is to pile in the back corner of the lot, get a snow bucket on your loader, and move the snow to dumb bucket by bucket the night after the storm, if you dont have access to dump truck, its time consuming, but you would be surprised how quick you can move a pile of snow with the right sized loader. Time wise IMO that lot is only 3.5hr on a average snow fall, DEPENDING wether or not your pushing all the way to snow dump.
  4. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Why cant you utilize the Green belts on the outer perimeter of the lot for snow piling???...If you have to put all the snow from that lot in the spot with the X...Thats gonna be costly......From that back lot to the snow piling area is a LONG push...Are they willing to pay for all this...You are talking alot of machine hours....
  5. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

3.5 hours with what size and type of equipment....
  6. capitalsnow

capitalsnow Member

7430 john deere with blade, and 996h with 14ft pusher..... that estimate is for piling in the lot, not pushing to the snow dump.
  7. Patrick34

Patrick34 Member

For the guys who have commented, I appeciate the feedback. The property manager has very specific instructions, no snow piled in any of the turf areas around the perimeter. All snow must go in the designated area. This would either call for a very long push from certain areas, or transporting snow piles with dump trucks...

Appreciate any other feedback, thank you.
  8. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

Seriously! At least you didn't ask how much,lol
    This will be my first season doing big,big lots and our biggest lot is half the size of that monster, but Ive been doing this since 2003. My thoughts....I'm thinking 2 pieces of heavy equipment and maybe 1 truck to cut out areas. Maybe have 1 loader push to a waiting loader to move it back to the designated dumping area and then tag team the smaller lot with both loaders.
  9. Superior L & L

Superior L & L PlowSite Veteran
    from MI

Wow, What a project ! That just doesn't seam possible to push all that way. At least the far lot would need to be trucked over to the dump site. Not an expert on this stuff but that's a lot of material to haul even if it's just 4/5 of the acres. Id probably have two trucks hauling to save on cycle time
  10. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

if you are set on hauling the snow then think about looking at a hook lift truck. you can have two bodies so that the loader is filling one body on the ground while the truck dumps the other. drive back drop the empty and pick up the full one and repeat.
  11. plowatnight

plowatnight Senior Member
    from Mn

If the truck is close to the pile , I've seen the loader load the truck faster than the truck driver can unhook and hook the new box. I don't do this scale of work, but judging the space to be cleared vs. the dumping area, I'd be concerned that the dump site might not be large enough for a seasons worth of storage. If thats the case do you have a stipulation for storage or removal offsite?
  12. buckwheat_la

buckwheat_la 2000 Club Member

x2, really not sure there is enough storage, even if there is, im thinking one loader, the loader starts in the far lot, piles things up, then the dump truck and skid come in, start hauling, while the loader starts to do the closer lots, and the loader can push directly into the the snow storrage area
  13. blowerman

blowerman PlowSite.com Addict

SInce you have to have it all moved at once, one loader with a pusher and one loader loading out the piles. you never want to have just one truck when loading out snow. Lots of wasted time waiting for the truck turn around time. Also, you'll need to push back piles with one of the loaders at the dump site.
    Wouldn't hurt to have a skid loader to help square thing up and detail stuff.
    A good job is never cheap. Why are they seeking bids? Problem with price? Cold call bid?
  14. 04chevy2500

04chevy2500 Senior Member

would you be able to have a blower on the skid so that after you haul the snow to the dump site you could blow it further back into the field? seems like no matter what you do your going to be handling the material multiple times.
  15. Scottscape

Scottscape Senior Member

Those islands are going to be your obstacle
  16. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

I think you would need a loader and two dump trucks on each half of that lot as well as a pickup or two for clean-up. I'm just thinking if it quits snowing at 2:00am - 4:00am you have to be well on your way to being done by 5:30am - 6:00am. Those kinds of large businesses usually have people showing up for work from 6:00am - 9:00am. When cars start to show up and park in your way...Nightmare!

It's funny the property manager doesn't know how it was done in the past.
  17. Neige

Neige Sponsor

There is no way a SS can handle blowing back 10 acres of piled snow each time.

I have looked at that site for a while now, and its a real PITA. You have some very long pushes, and not even straight. A loader will drop down to 1st gear and take up to 5 minutes to push to that designated area, and be back in place for another push. Most of your snow will have to be pushed along that one road that runs right in front of the main doors. Keeping that place open during the day becomes a real nightmare.
    For 2 inch snow falls it can be done just pushing to the designated site. On larger storms the most efficient way IMO is to push snow to the ends and then fill trucks and transport to the designated site. I would fill the trucks with a snow blower allowing you to transport more snow per load. You will need that blower after to blow back the dumped snow. Its major storms a place like that becomes very time consuming.
  18. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

thoughts..... with both building entrances having the covered drop off areas the loader definitely won't fit so a pickup is necessary, also lots of nooks to clean out so maybe even two to keep things moving. make sure you don't get too wide of a push box on the loader, looks to be some tight areas.

1 loader, 1 backhoe, 2 pickups. the pickups get the nooks and tight spots, the backhoe cleans the open spaces and the loader puts it all in the back.

is this a wedding/reception place?
  19. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

20. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

2 Loaders, 2-3 dumps, depending on size, and a plow truck to help cleanup and feed the loaders. Pushing all the way with a wet heavy snow will take forever............Better to follow Neiges advice and push to the ends and load out, obviously the goal is to have a truck pulling into the load zome as the other is pulling out, you might have to play with the number of trucks a bit to get it down to the most efficient number. Bad to have the loader wating to load, or trucks to get loaded.......the challenge I see is making sure nobody sits idling..........